Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

A Daemon? Or something else...

Started by JoelMcKickass, August 02, 2010, 12:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoelMcKickass

Since Tyr Wen Wokin/Tobias Wyntir/Reynard Grimnir (same guy) was horribly destroyed by the Varnishing job, i was a little put off, and he and all things 54mm were downgraded to a side project. However, i've recently got the bug again, nearly finished Tyr, and decided to give a new angle to my current Inquisitor. However, i've also decided to try and do an Evil Warband concurrently after falling in love with the new Daemon Prince model-

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod860026a&rootCatGameStyle=

I don't own it yet, but after talking to the Store Manager he agreed it's tall enough to be something in Inquisitor, though not necessarily a Daemon prince (not that i'd be looking to make one), but i've been wondering what to turn it into. It IS meant to be an "end of level boss" type, so I was tempted to turn it into a fully possessed Inquisitor, though that would be the obvious idea. The other one is simply a Daemon, like a Bloodletter, though I doubt i'd be able to justify why it not only exists for extended periods of time, but also has a group of followers. The third option, and by far the easiest, is to make it an Alien Bounty Hunter.

So, does anyone have any idea's about what to make the DP model? I still need to check the size compared to the other models however, so does anyone else know the size compared to other 54mms?

Shannow

I would say that the possessed inquisitor is a much easier option than the bounty hunter, as the DP has got definite vestiges of power armour which would be an effort to conceal or explain for the bounty hunter, and I also think it would be more feasible to work a fully possessed inquisitor in as the end of game boos type. Not to say that an alien bounty hunter wouldn't be interesting, just that overall I think its a little harder.

In terms of size, are we to presume it's the same size as the old metal one? I don't have a direct comparison, but will be going to a shop that has a built DP for sale on the shelf, so will take a comparison picture for you :)

Rob

EDIT: I had forgotten that the new plastic sprues were more flexible on the armour front, but still think that a possessed inquisitor seems more fitting and easier, would love to see what you would do with it as am alien though....!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

DapperAnarchist

A Possessed of some kind could be a very interesting character, giving opportunities for not only interesting powers, but also interesting weaknesses (Light, for example - like the Cloak of Darkness ability) and some not powers, not weaknesses sort of stuff - like the Daemonic effects in Dark Heresy (drop flying upwards, high pitched squeals on the edge of hearing, the smell of something indefinably horrible or familiar, stuff like that)
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Shannow

Heres a comparison picture with the old DP, my model is almost exactly the same height as the Slick Devlan model, just a tad larger.

From the looks of it I would say the new ones stand a little higher and slimmer, but I may obviously be wrong. Definitely looks a workable size though (as long as you don't give him great big fuc**ng wings!)

Rob
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

JoelMcKickass

Thanks for putting that picture up Shannow, it's decided that i'll get it if i get paid on wednesday, or saturday (2 jobs for the win). If it's slimmer it might be perfect, the old Daemon Prince looks to me like it's an ex-Marine, if it's slimmer, it could pass as non-Astartes, though i do want to load it up with the daemonic "carapace" armour. As for the rules, i was thinking of making him pretty tragic, kind of like Quixos, like he genuinely believed he was working for the Emperor and had managed to turn Chaos against itself, then got possessed...

Though i was also debating making the Daemon insanely jealous, and giving him frenzy when he sees other daemonic characters or character's with daemonic weapons.

As for the character himself,  i was thinking of giving him a strong profile (S and T in the low 80's/high 70's), and some skills/psychic powers, though very little equipment (literally, some armour, and a Great Axe...), though i do like some more abstract rules as Dapper suggested, a smell of lavender perhaps, not exactly unpleasant, but something that would be noticeable in an industrial district perhaps.

I've also been thinking about the warband, and need to check a coupld of conversions, but i'm thinking of a team of bounty hunters (one of whom is fanatically loyal, the other 2 who will have a "cut and run*" rule), and a second in command, an executioner style guy, i'm hoping that my Sgt Stone/Malicant crossover will work well for him :P

*cut and run would be a rule that means that if the executioner and the Daemon are out of action (for whatever reason), those 2 will try and escape from the board.

JoelMcKickass

DAMNIT!!

I did it again, i let myself go into the store. Now I'm curious if a Blood Crusher would be usuable as a Cyber Mastiff, any ideas?

Sorry for the double post, but it's a new question.

Dexter

I think a bloodcrusher would make a fantastic cyber-mastiff.  You'd have to be sure to put in the necessary details to make sure that it recognizes as a canine, however, and not a Juggernaut.  One thing that always strikes me as inexcusably lazy is when a Space Wolf player uses a Juggernaut as a Thunder Wolf model, and simply files off the Chaos symbols and paints it gray (or, really that baby-blue lavender they try to pass off as gray).  I could focus on giving in paws instead of hooves, some sort of ears, and repositioning their front legs.  Dog legs bend forwards at the knee and backwards at the ankle, so the Juggernaut's front legs would need a bit of cutting.  Horaay for new plastic kits!
As far as the Daemon prince goes, making him a possessed Inquisitor is always an option.  I like the Quixos comparison, and there is a lot of room to work there.  Since it would seem that Chaos has gotten the better of him, what if he had spent the better part of a century tracking down a Chaos cult bent on possession, only to find that when he did find and purge them, he really completed a summoning ritual, and left himself the only one alive as a suitable host body for the daemon.
Just some random thoughts.  Whatever you do, use the armored torso and not the naked one.  When Games Workshop tries to sculpt muscular anatomy in plastic it always makes me cry...
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.

Myriad

A juggernaut certainly could work, although it is about twice the size and more heavily built than the standard cyber mastiff - I'm pretty sure it's stand well above the waist of most inquisitor models.  Which just means, of course, it's used for heavier duties than the standard model (which are a bit puzzling really - are they really a cost effective means of law enforcement?).
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!