Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

The Price of Devotion OOC - New RP RECRUITING

Started by Fallen Angel, August 12, 2010, 09:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Inquisitor Kravin on August 19, 2010, 11:41:27 PMIn fact...I might stick with it.
Well then, I might start calling you Inquisitor Craven. ::)

QuoteAlso...I love Pink Floyd
You have good taste.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Jarrik32

Quote from: Inquisitor Kravin on August 18, 2010, 11:46:14 PM
In combat he favours pistols, able to draw faster than most Guardsmen can pull a trigger and is quick to empty any clip. As such he carry s multiple duel pistols, stropped to his body. Its faster to draw new guns than reload. When theses are completed he tends to uses a large, single action revolver, devastating and accurate.

Dual Custom Las Pistols
Dual Custom Master Work Auto-Pistols
Dual Mars Pattern Las Pistols (Can never have enough)
Mars Pattern Revolver, heavily customised and one off a kind, named "Heather"

While this a an RP not the actual game itself (or real life) meaning the already loose rules are relaxed even further this seems way out of place for a number reasons. First and most importantly is weight, I did a stint in the army way back when and trust me when I say that guns are heavier than people think, I couldn't even imagine carrying, let alone running round carrying SEVEN pistols along with the rest of my gear.

Secondly while recoil is probably a lot less than contemporary guns, firing of at full-auto is going to be wildly inaccurate with a single pistol let alone two. But hey this is inquisitor, the rule of cool is in full effect.

My advice is dump all but two of the pistols and say that he is a trained marksman capable of compensating for the recoil (augmetics maybe) and say that he is capable of reloading (both pistols) in under a second.

Maybe even rename them as a carbines or sub-machineguns as well to differentiate them from (normally single shot or burst firing) pistols

you still get the (admittedly very cool) hailstorm of bullets but without the ominous figure of an inquisitor staggering around under the weight of half a tonne of gear.

Quote from: Inquisitor Kravin on August 18, 2010, 11:46:14 PM
"Boom...head shot."

Hehe gotta love those inane comments gung ho characters constantly churn out, I wouldn't worry about this too much as everyone knows

If he sounds stupid and is pointing a gun at you... he's not stupid.

Likewise naming your guns is a fairly common (if morbid) habit.
We stand as one.

Inquisitor Kravin

Hmmm, I myself have never held a gun so am rather unfamiler with the waight of them. I guess I've watched to much Matrix, perhaps a wee edit is needed.
Redemption can be found at the end off a bolter pistol.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Inquisitor Kravin on August 20, 2010, 11:38:07 AMI guess I've watched to much Matrix
I should point out that for the Matrix, they had to build lightweight replicas so Keanu Reeves could actually carry around quite that many guns...

GW's =I= articles

Koval

Which just goes to show that Keanu Reeves really is a weak actor.

Necris

Oh dear what at terrible pun

You should see my in my pirate re-enactment kit 6 to 12 flintlocks is extremely heavy, though I don't do that often
This here is my very favourite gun...I call her rita.

The Order of the Iron Rose - Necris' Inq28 Plog

Wulf

Hello! I have been intrigued so long by this, that I finally decided to throw my hat in the ring. I hope I am not too late? Also, this is my first attempt at 40K RP, so please forgive my ignorance if anything is hopelessly wrong. For appraisal and critique:

Name: Lon Landis
Origin / gender: Elysia, male
Inquisitorial rank / affiliation: Interrogator, Ordo Xenos
Appearance: At first glance, Lon is quite unremarkable, of medium build and height, with a face you'd forget if it wasn't so windbeaten and leathery with slightly sunken eyes and subdued features. By no means does he inspire fear or awe by his appearance alone. His buzz-cut blond hair is starting to creep backwards from his temples, no doubt accelerated by his stress-filled lifestyle. On closer inspection though, his medium build consists of tremendously little fat, lots of lean muscle and two grafts: his left arm and leg.

Background: Born on Elysia to a family of dockworkers, Lon enlisted in the Elysian PDF instead of following his father into the spacedocks. After one tour of duty in the PDF, he was able to get into the famed drop troops, in the Elysian 130th. He served with the 130th for eighteen years, earning the rank of gunnery sergeant and a citation for bravery during the interception of Ork ironclad 'Skysmasha', enroute from Sulairn to Dulma'lin. During the operation, Lon along with two other troopers managed to hold the bridgehead gained in the ironclad's aft launch bay until the second assault wave could arrive despite all others of the initial boarding party being slain. During the fighting, he was hit by ork fire, several times in the left arm and leg, but still managed to keep fighting, an incredible display of pain tolerance, discipline and determination not to be taken alive by the xeno bastards.

After being evacuated from Skysmasha, Lon's injuries were so severe that the regiment surgeons could do nothing but amputate both his arm and leg. Given prosthetics, Lon was retired from active duty, much to his disgust. After continuous grousing and begging for the better part of six months, the 130th agreed to take him back in an adminstrative position. Not content with being a beancounter, nor gunsmith, both of which he did for almost a year, he was able to snake his way into his old company's intelligence office and later into the regimental intelligence office as an 'analyst'. In truth, most of the actual analysis was performed by auto-savants and trained officers, but the regimental intelligence officer had been the leader for the second wave aboard Skysmasha, having furthered his career by now by two full ranks. Perhaps it was gratitude, or pity, or perhaps he even felt Lon was useful, but lieutenant colonel Valkstern kept the crippled gunny on his staff for around four years.

While Lon was in the regimental intelligence office, he came to know Inquisitor Urithel Rosen of the Ordo Xenos during another interception operation, this one aimed at trader Wilkes Olhamo. Rosen suspected Olhamo of trafficking in Xeno contraband and requested the 130th to board and seize his vessel while in the Elysia system. The succesful operation and subsequent investigation turned out as great successes for both the 130th and Inquisitor Rosen. After the operation, Lon was approached by Rosen covertly (through an old friend from the 130th now working for Rosen) while on leave and asked to relay classified intelligence information gained by the 130th while fighting pirates in the Elysia system directly to Rosen for future investigations. Loyal to his regiment and his closest superiors, Lon initially declined.

Shortly afterwards, Valkstern, now colonel, transfered to another posting, and his replacement harbored no such affection for the old gunny as Valkstern had. Still kept in the intelligence office, but mostly ignored (his last annual appraisal by colonel Proffer was 'irritating, but mostly harmless') and belittled, Lon slowly grew to dislike colonel Proffer intensely. Through Proffer's influence, Lon started to grow distant from the younger officer cadre within the regiment, and ultimately was starting not to feel at home within the regiment anymore. By this time, Lon was again approached by Rosen, and this time he agreed to act as Rosen's eyes and ears in the regiment.

Lon fulfilled his tasks for three more years in the regiment, all the while supplying Rosen with information that passed through the regimental intelligence. Perhaps his greatest achievement was doing this for three years without being caught, fooling trained intelligence operators at their own game, until Rosen made him an offer he didn't refuse. If Lon was to join Rosen's staff, Rosen would arrange for high-grade grafts to replace his prosthetic arm and leg. In exchange, Lon was to pledge his life to Rosen. An easy deal for a trooper itching to get back into the front lines against the enemies of the Emperor, Lon quickly agreed.

Lon resigned from the regiment (and Proffer rejoiced) to join Rosen's staff. After receiving his grafted limbs, Lon joined Rosen's staff as his field operative in Elysia. Lon's first investigation involved him and Rosen infiltrating a spaceport dock on Elysia to root out a network of criminals who were bringing in xenos contraband from offworld, aided by pirates. The investigation led to the destruction of the crime ring, destruction of pirate cruiser 'Audaces Fortuna Iuvat' and to Rosen taking a liking to Lon for his situational awareness, quick thinking and nerves of steel. After the investigation, Lon was welcomed to Rosen's personal retinue.

Lon worked with Rosen for the better part of six years and became friends with Rosen. Two years after Rosen had taken Lon into his retinue, Rosen recruited another member to his retinue, an incident that killed Lon's chances of reaching the rank of Inquisitor anytime soon. She was Laria Oellewervenden, young, beatiful, vibrant, quickwitted and a psyker. Soon she had become not only Rosen's main protegé but also his lover. Rosen began to favor her to the point of neglecting his other servants, which Lon eventually came to resent. Still, out of friendship and their deal, he served Rosen until both Rosen and Oellewervenden were killed in a car crash on Rhanna. A two-month investigation uncovered no clues whatsoever to any wrongdoing, and eventually both the local Arbites and the Inquisition had to classify the incident as an accident. A malicious rumor within the Inquisition had it that while driving the car, Inquisitor Rosen was being entertained by High Interrogator Oellewervenden, and in his moment of rapture failed to see the eighteenwheeler coming into the intersection with the right of way. Nevertheless, Lon and the rest of Rosen's retinue were suddenly left without a master.

For now, Rosen's superiors have been too busy to sort out the mess left by Rosen's death, so, without further orders, Lon and the rest of Rosen's retinue figured they'd keep doing what they've been up to.

Personality and beliefs: As mentioned, Lon is calm yet a quick thinker. Some would say he is unnervingly calm, like a sociopath. The truth of the matter is that he has been through so much during his time with the 130th, that he has become numb and very few things shake him anymore. Seeing friends die, the constant fear of death, the torturous anticipation of combat (and injury and death), all the things soldiers go through have taken their toll on him. Post-traumatic stress syndrome, some call it. After his experiences with Proffer and Rosen, loyalty has become somewhat of a flexible concept to him, although there is one he is loyal to until the end: the Emperor.

Lon is more of a listener than talker and due to his quite average appearance has a talent for blending into the background. He prefers to observe before making decisions, but acts fast under pressure. Like many slightly shocked soldiers, his humor, which seldom surfaces, not only borders on morbid, it crosses the line all the way to macabre. Unsurprisingly, he is not much of a hit with the ladies.

Thanks to Rosen, Lon comes across as an amalanthian, although he has truly yet to find his own way. He is still somewhat of a novice when it comes to inquisitorial philosophy and especially politics. But for the most part, he seems like a puritan amalanthian. Despite being confident in his own abilities as a drop trooper and intel operator, he is a bit insecure of his skill as an inquisitor, mainly due to Rosen's favoring of Oellewervenden and for having mostly worked under Rosen's guidance and very seldom truly independently.

Gear: Lon dresses mostly in military-issue, militaristic or utilitarian clothes. He is more than a decent shot with any military-issue rifle or carbine, as well as sidearms, but favors a short, modified hellgun topped off with a targeter. He managed to retain his drop troop uniform upon release from the regiment, along with the Type 5 pressure helmet and Mk IV combat backpack. Thanks to Rosen, he also has acquired quite a comprehensive kit of tools, gadgets and garments for infiltrating and breaching structures.

Associates:

Savant Perditius Dogmar - Rosen's chief savant, an ancient disciple of the Machine Cult. Older than dirt, but what a mind. Knowledgeable on almost any possible subject, although self-important and condescending. Likes to rattle on and on about almost anything, but is such a well of information that Lon couldn't help but beg and plead the old savant to accompany him when he decided to continue Rosen's work. Few know his real age, but most of his body has been replaced with machinery. Bald and wrinkled, with only whirring augmentic lenses where his eyes should be, he is even uglier than Harkon Kheret.

Gun-servitor Prox - Gideron Prox was a lieutenant on the rise of the Mordian Iron Guard, until his company broke and ran during battle against orks, Prox being among the first to falter. As penance for his failure, he was lobotomized and attached at the shoulder to a heavy bolter. Prox has no personality to speak of anymore and when Rosen died, he was left without a master. Thus Lon kind of inherited him. Due to augmentic surgery and steroids, Prox is a hulking slab of muscle with no real discernable features (his face is hidden behind a steel mask - more of a plate actually - that only has a single horizontal slit for him to see).

Arbites investigator Harkon Kheret - Harkon Kheret originates from Rhanna, where he was an a member of an Arbites riot squad until his legs were crushed by a rioter with a bulldozer trying to plow over the Arbites line and into the Ministorum building they were protecting. Kheret was transfered to investigations, where he languished for quite some time until similarly to Lon, Kheret was eventually offered grafts by Rosen, which he accepted, in exchange for joining Rosen's staff. Kheret is relatively bright, but haughty and considers himself Lon's equal. He follows Lon around since the Inquisition has still to determine what to do with Rosen's former staff, and he doesn't want to risk Lon being either attached to some Inquisitor's retinue or being promoted before himself. Harkon is middleaged and quite a bit taller and more imposing physically than Lon, although he's ugly as sin.

Dockworker Tilla Puijus - Harkon Kheret's lover. She is a well-proportioned if not remarkably beautiful woman in her late thirties. Her main talents are a fast tongue and feminine charms, which she uses eagerly to her advantage. Although she wouldn't impress someone used to high fashion and augmented beauty, she is quite able to influence the average imperial male. Although she has men almost all over the Imperial space and perhaps beyond, Harkon Kheret is her regular companion. She is originally from Avellorn and maintains good relations with a number of traders from her past, making her very useful when Lon and company need to travel around the galaxy.

Whew, sorry for the long background. Somewhere along the way, it got out of hand. Must have been Tzeentch at work as I just couldn't stop.

Jarrik32

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on August 20, 2010, 12:12:48 AM
Quote from: Inquisitor Kravin on August 19, 2010, 11:41:27 PMIn fact...I might stick with it.
Well then, I might start calling you Inquisitor Craven. ::)

Now now children.... Seriously though Microskull does sound better than Macro.
We stand as one.

Necris

This here is my very favourite gun...I call her rita.

The Order of the Iron Rose - Necris' Inq28 Plog

TheWatcher

Hey Necris

I believe our erstwhile GM has been out on excercise with the TA- rest assured he'll have the briefs posted ASAP.

Join me next week on "Let's make no F***ing sense", when I'll be waxing an Owl.

MarcoSkoll

For the sake of reference, TheWatcher, I should note that Riley is supposed to be starting on Siwa (I have received a briefing. I don't know how unique that makes me at this point).

So, based on your passage, you've either written Siwa as the wrong type of world (you make references to "dirty, unpleasant hive") or you've put Riley on Artesia - which would royally screw up what I'm supposed to be writing!

In the former case, a simple fix would be to change it to a spaceport. I imagine that such an agricultural world would have pretty heavily developed spaceports that incorporated sections that could look like the slightly more pleasant parts of a hive.

In the latter case... well, that's not really an option. If you're supposed to be on Artesia (I don't know what you've been told), then Riley just can't be walking past.

GW's =I= articles

TheWatcher

Sorry about that, I've made the change, it now reads "dirty, unpleasant spaceport".

Heroka Vendile

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on August 25, 2010, 11:47:26 PMI have received a briefing. I don't know how unique that makes me at this point.
I too have received my brief.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

TheWatcher

Koval

I've got a brief, but since it's not entirely focused on Johm and/or stuff I can solo-post, I'm a bit loath to post anything for the moment.