Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Quickdraws WIPs w/New model just added!

Started by Quickdraw McGraw, June 17, 2012, 01:01:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zakkeg

Lovely work. But you knew that already. So...

Quote from: Quickdraw McGraw on July 30, 2012, 03:50:42 PMAny criticism would be nice too. I'm not just being modest.

Criticism you say? My very favourite word. ;)

-Paint's a touch thick in places (thighs, jet cowling).

-A lot of your metallics look a bit splotchy, though I probably wouldn't notice at 1:1, except perhaps for on the jump pack's fuel line. Another layer or two of blending would have been good there, or maybe some wet blending if you think you're up for that sort of thing. (I'd recommend using a retarding agent if you ever do plan to experiment in that direction.)

-Your freehand could be sharper, particularly on the loincloth, and the hazard stripes are somewhat uneven as well. I'm a bit torn with regards to the technique you've used to suggest text on the purity seals - it looks a bit naff in the photos, but I suspect it might be quite effective in person.

-While you've done quite well with the glowing eyes, the glowing jets are decidedly less convincing. I think a big part of the problem is that they don't really "pop" against their red housing. I might've given the innards a sort of scorched metallic look, to give the glow something to play against.

-I'm not sure about the blood spatter. I can't really find specific fault with it; it's simply one of those things that's far more difficult than it looks to pull off well. My only suggestion is that red paint is not the best thing to use. I had this red/chestnut ink combination that worked quite well back in the day, but I'm not sure what I'd use now. Might be worth googling "blood spatter" and making a proper study of it if it's something you plan on doing a lot.

That's about it, then. Bet you wish you hadn't asked. ;) ;D
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper; only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Quickdraw McGraw

Zakkeg-  Thank you for your criticism.  It comes across very professional.  So yes, no hard feeling.   :)

Quote from: Zakkeg on July 31, 2012, 08:50:44 PM
-Paint's a touch thick in places (thighs, jet cowling).

This is probably the only excuse I have is the clear coat was spurting out of the can.  So I had to wipe it on with a brush.  I do in fact water all my acrylics down to keep them smooth. 

-A lot of your metallics look a bit splotchy, though I probably wouldn't notice at 1:1, except perhaps for on the jump pack's fuel line. Another layer or two of blending would have been good there, or maybe some wet blending if you think you're up for that sort of thing. (I'd recommend using a retarding agent if you ever do plan to experiment in that direction.)

-Your freehand could be sharper, particularly on the loincloth, and the hazard stripes are somewhat uneven as well. I'm a bit torn with regards to the technique you've used to suggest text on the purity seals - it looks a bit naff in the photos, but I suspect it might be quite effective in person.

This I have no excuse for... I rushed the paint job.  Sadly, I'm slow so I was behind on my own goals.  I did try to make the loincloth old and worn by not giving it a sharper look but this failed.  Any suggestions I would gladly take.  How's the free hand on the shoulder?  It's a side profile of Sanguinus. 

-While you've done quite well with the glowing eyes, the glowing jets are decidedly less convincing. I think a big part of the problem is that they don't really "pop" against their red housing. I might've given the innards a sort of scorched metallic look, to give the glow something to play against.

I painted the exhaust of my sanguinary guard glowing blue.  But I wanted to remain true to photos of jet packs with flames coming out the exhaust.  Red against the red jet housing doesn't look right. So I tried the hazard chevron to break it up.  It didn't come out like i planned either.

-I'm not sure about the blood spatter. I can't really find specific fault with it; it's simply one of those things that's far more difficult than it looks to pull off well. My only suggestion is that red paint is not the best thing to use. I had this red/chestnut ink combination that worked quite well back in the day, but I'm not sure what I'd use now. Might be worth googling "blood spatter" and making a proper study of it if it's something you plan on doing a lot.

I flicked red ink onto the chainsword.  I'll try the brown/red next time.  To give it a dried/caked on/gory look.

I'm going to print this out and place it under the model on the shelf.  When I come back to him in a few years, I'll do it better.   ;D

Thanks for the input!
Josh

Every time I see a math word problem in the warp it looks like this: 

If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 apples. How many pancakes will fit on the roof?

Answer:  Purple because Tyranids don't wear hats.   :P

Van Helser

I think the marine looks great.  Always good to see a big project come to completion... I'm terrible for getting things half done and then losing interest!

I've been working on battle damage for armour recently and thought I could share a recommendation: silver over black is one way to do it, but I've found that you can get more effective looking battle damage with splodges of Black/Scorched Brown mix (25:75) that have a thin outline of a very sharp highlight of your main armour colour along the lower edges of the damaged area.  For your Blood Angel, a Blood Red/Sunburst Yellow mix 50:50 would be about right.  There's a good picture over on buypainted which illustrates the finished article.  Not my work of course, but where I got the inspiration!

Ruaridh

Quickdraw McGraw

Yes, I see what you are saying!  I've saved the photo for now.  Thanks for the advice Van Helser!   :) 

Stay tuned as I have another project I'll be posting in a few days. 

Josh

If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 apples. How many pancakes will fit on the roof?

Shannow

Wow I not been on in a while and this is a sight to ease my Inquisitor withdrawal just a little! Spectacularly covetable... mmmm covet
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Quickdraw McGraw

Thanks Shannow!  I'm glad I could help.    ;D

Well, I hope everyone didn't wait too long as I have another WIP to post.   ;)

I've started another tread in the rules discussion area so I'll post the story and stats there.  Sorry, to be confusing i hope to keep it simple.  This will be my WIP Thread and The other one will be my Warband discussion.  I hope this is OK.   :)

Meet The Janis Twins.  The first of six to come in my Mutant freedom fighter warband.  They are the gunslingers of the group.

I'm Darryl

This is my other brother Darryl (Any Newhart fans out there?)   ;)

Please If I may ask?  Anyone experienced (or not is OK too)with doing mutants.  I'm not sure what color to do their skin and how to really.

Thanks for looking,
Josh

Knobby2

haha, I love it never even crossed my mind to do a mutant like that

Trasher

I've seen an extra arm, I've seen an extra head, but I'm pretty sure I haven't seen an arm and a head facing in an opposite direction! Truly inspired Quickdraw :)
My Nurgle Cult Thread on The Conclave
My Nurgle Cult Thread on Papa Nurgle
"Come on, daemons live in the warp. [snip] hours turn into cm, cm turn into walruses."

Quickdraw McGraw

Thanks guys!  They were really fun to model!   :) 

Do either of you know which color to do his skin?  I don't have any experience with mutant skin.  I'm planning on painting the flak vest brownish.  So maybe grey or green would be a good contrast?

Have a great day!
Josh

Trasher

Oh I'm not good with matching colours. Have you thought of looking at some reptiles to try and mimic their skin colours? Poisoned frogs and a lot of snakes have very striking colours that would probably lend themselves onto models. Otherwise, what about looking at different daemon models that GW has released? Pink, blue, yellow/brown, green are a few different skin colours that spring to mind. It seems a wash of colour, like blue for example, over a white basecoat lends itself very good for mutant skin.

I'm interested in seeing what you make of this, as I'm making some mutants for my warband too, good luck!
My Nurgle Cult Thread on The Conclave
My Nurgle Cult Thread on Papa Nurgle
"Come on, daemons live in the warp. [snip] hours turn into cm, cm turn into walruses."

Eziah Kranox

I'd probably go with a pale human look, maybe like an ashen grey sort of colour (I have some guard abhumans painted up like that and it looks reasonable).

For the full mutant though, I'd suggest that you reverse the standard skin pigment of the planet. So if the twins were in the lower area of a hive world and were deprived of sun light, thus making them a whiter than normal colour if they were normal, switch it for darker than normal. So a planet of albinos would mean that the twins would have jet black skin etc.

Quickdraw McGraw

Good idea guys!   :)  I did a little more research in skin tone and painting techniques on some other sites.  I visited several sites and like the way a few painters do their Deathguard flesh tones.  :)

Thanks,
Josh

Knobby2

I'd probably go for a sickly green/grey human tint skin

Quickdraw McGraw

I want to do a greenish gray look.  How does this look?

Thanks for viewing,
josh

Eziah Kranox

The skin tone looks good, very mutanty (I know, I know English is my strongsuit :P).
My only suggestion would be maybe tone down the green and then put a greener colour in the recesses.
Just my 2 cents.
Cheers
Sam