Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Trashers Nurgle cult

Started by Trasher, January 17, 2012, 03:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trasher

Welcome, esteemed brethren, and thanks for reading!
As the title might suggest, I'm starting an Inquisitor warband based on a Nurgle cult. Before you read on and become appalled by the weaponry I want to give some of my models, bear in mind they'll probably never see a gaming table. My aim is simply to make some 54mm models and paint them to a good standard and have as display pieces. Though I will create backgrounds and profiles for them.

So what models do I want to fit into the cult?
1.   The leader Filthoos Theophorus the pestilent. This is the only character I've named yet. I might use The Death or the Brother Josef from GW. The model from Andrea is very static and doesn't look very Nurgly, I know, but I quite like that he doesn't look too out of place. I'll probably give him a knife, a few psychic powers, and a familiar. To convert the model I'll probably model a knife somewhere and a book on his back. I'll also try and hack away on his clothes a bit.

2.   One standard bearer based on a Devout Sister who has a tentacle holding the pole and one normal arm down to her side, perhaps holding a chainsword.

3.   One with an RPG-7 copy (Ork rokkit launcha) or some kind of rocket launcher akin to the Bofors AT-4(Cadia missle launcher). This will probably be the Quovandius model I just bought.

4.   One renegade guardsman. Also wanna try this out, if I paint a few models before this one I'll try and paint his clothes in M90. I might arm him with a heavy stubber.

On to my questions! I've been looking at an ebay store and found the Cadia Missile Launcher and Ork loota or burner heads, now I want to know, do they scale up well with 54mm figures?
I want to make a

Any comments, criticism, hints, tips et cetera are very welcome!
My Nurgle Cult Thread on The Conclave
My Nurgle Cult Thread on Papa Nurgle
"Come on, daemons live in the warp. [snip] hours turn into cm, cm turn into walruses."

Dolnikan

This looks like an interesting project. The Cadia missile launcher is quite slim, so I think that it will not combine all that well with 54mm.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Trasher

Wow, super fast reply Dolnikan! Maybe I will have to ditch the missile launcher and use something beefier, will see what kind of plastic tubing I can find...
"Come on, daemons live in the warp. [snip] hours turn into cm, cm turn into walruses."

Necris

if you know someone in retail the tubes from card machine receipts or till receipts are good
This here is my very favourite gun...I call her rita.

The Order of the Iron Rose - Necris' Inq28 Plog

phil-o-mat

brother josef is great for a character who follows nurgle , i use one as leader of my mutant npc's.

Kaled

As Dolnikan says, with some exceptions 28mm human parts don't scale that well for 54mm models (unless you're using a 28mm basic weapon as a 54mm pistol, or suchlike), however 28mm ork weapons usually do work very well on 54mm human models.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Trasher

So, a bit of an update! I intend to make all of these models at my parents house where I can borrow tools and stuff from my dad, but I've got some bits at my place so I thought I'd try and show you want I want to make out of my Quovandius model!

On the note of 28mm Ork weapons...
These two pictures have obviously been photoshopped so the size of the hand compared to the main part of the gun may not be right... But I'm looking at making something like these two pictures, which one do you like the most? Or is it just stupid?

Original head:

Ork head:

Dolnikan

The head fits on fine. For the weapon I prefer the second version, it is a slightly insane weapon but then again, it is a Nurgle cultist and those tend to not be all too picky.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Trasher

Time for another update!

I've pushed some green stuff around today. Mostly straightforward gapfilling, didn't even think to take a picture of the actual sculpting I did on his shirt. I clipped of the ears and tried bulking up the top of his head like a member of a different forum suggested, but found it quite hard since the putty wouldn't stick to the model because of all the water. Now I'm thinking of glueing some sand to his head and call it hair.

Left to do before painting:
    *Pin his head in place and fill up the void with GS.
    *Pin his left arm and fill the void with GS.
    *Glue sand on top of his head.
    *Decide how to base the warband and finish the base.
    *Perhaps glue on a backpack containing ammo for the rocket launcher.

Bonus pic of my first warband!

So, finally, I need some help deciding how to base my warband. I've had some ideas, which I'll list here, but I need your opinions! Do you think my ideas suck? Please suggest something else! I want the bases to tie my warband together. I've got a loose idea of them residing in an old LHO-stick factory, thus I think either of these options would be cool:
    *Factory deep down in the underhive. Rusty, metal floors littered with pieces of machinery.
    *Overgrown factory in the jungle near a Hive City, lots of potential for bio Nurgle here.
    *Ash waste. The Hive City the factory used to produce LHO-sticks for is basically surrounded by desert and there's a lot of sand and rocks in the factory.

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Better crippled in body than corrupt in mind.

Dolnikan

Is it just me or does the Space Marine lack a head?

You could have the factory overflown a bit with mud, so a muddy base with some pieces of technology sticking out, think of it as a marsh that has consumed the factory.

Trasher

You're right Dolnikan, the Space Marine is rather lacking in the head-department.

Sounds like a cool idea, a factory that was based outside a Hive City, in an area of the woods/jungle that has now become a marsh or swamp.

Trasher

A user from another forum suggested I'd buy this newly released model. Do you guys reckon he could pass for a short person in 54mm scale? I'm pretty sure I've seen others use 1/35 Smart Max kits before.

Adlan

Quote from: Trasher on May 04, 2012, 11:42:50 PM
A user from another forum suggested I'd buy this newly released model. Do you guys reckon he could pass for a short person in 54mm scale? I'm pretty sure I've seen others use 1/35 Smart Max kits before.

People in height vary a lot more than =][= models, so I think it should work, it's a head shorter than 'standard', but so are some of my flat mates.

Kaled

At least one person on here has used SmartMax models alongside GW ones in a warband. You just need to make sure his slight stature is reflected in his stats - maybe make him a plague-ridden teenager rather than an adult.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Trasher

Kaled: Hah, a teenager could make for interesting roleplay! Though I'm afraid this warband will never see action, I live in Stockholm, Sweden, none of my friends play Inquisitor and I don't know of a FLGS in my area that plays Inquisitor. Thanks for the reply though!
Adlan: All too true my friend!

You guys are surely right, I even did some counting with the different scale to see how short he would be:

A little bit of counting using googles calculator (sorry if you don't like mm, cm or metres, you'll just have to cope):
50 mm * 35 = 1,75 meter (The actual height of LE SOLDAT INCONNU)
50 mm * 32 = 1,6 meter (His height in 1/32 scale)
54 mm * 32 = 1,72800 meter (Height of a 54mm tall model in 1/32 scale)
54 mm * 35 = 1,89 meter (Height of a 54mm tall model in 1/35 scale)

So if I were to use him as a 1/32 scale model, that would mean his real height would be about 12cm, or 4.7 inches shorter than the average human, not much in my opinion. Oh, and if you do find something wrong with my math, please tell me!