Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

W.I.P. Auberorn Carnivorn

Started by Radu Lykan, September 22, 2009, 10:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radu Lykan

after a bit of a break from modelling i finally pulled my finger out and got started on some inquisitor 54mm models, the first of which is shown below. its obviously work in progress as you can tell by the large amount of blue tack involved :)
just want a few opinions regarding the pose. the left arm currently holds Kal's scabbard, this will be swapped out for a heavy cavalry sword if i manage to make a covincing one out of plasticard. the head is from mig productions. other additions will be a back pack and a funky looking grenade or two.
so, does the head look ok size wise? how is the models "flow"? is the pistol an adequate representation of a duelling pistol?

link to fluff and stats http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=225.0

Hadriel Caine

that's a very nice conversion. I've been eying up the empire pistols for use in Inquisitor and this one looks great. Do you have a link to MIG productions? the head is very cool and not one I've seen used for Inquisitor before, always nice to be unique. The sword pose looks good. what are you going to use for the left arm? Artemis' sword might be a good replacement. I know its cliché but its a nice part.

Adam
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

Radu Lykan

i will possibly use the thorians left arm with a bit of work and a hand swap. for the sword i am going for a lighter looking weapon than artemis' sword, a straight heavy cavalry sword is his weapon of choice in fluff so hopefully i can make something reasonable with a file and some plasticard
linky to historex mig page  http://www.historexagents.com/shop/hxsearchresults.php?SupplierCode=MG

Van Helser

That head fits very well.  May have to investigate purchasing some myself.

I'm not too sold on the pose though I must say.  The Thorian has a very solid, static look about him with his feet spread the way they are.  The sword posed as it currently is looks a bit too dynamic to match the rest of the model.  That sort of pose kind of looks like he should be backhanding someone in the face for insulting him.  Which isn't such a bad thing...

Perhaps if he was pointing with the sword it might work a bit better?

Ruaridh

psycho

like the mini mate
ive used Empire Pistoliers Pistols in Holsters for my Witch Hunters apprentices Revolvers
they look real good actualy
like the fluff to mate
kerby

Myriad

Mostly I like this guy.  The head looks pretty good to me.

Duelling pistols tend to be custom pieces so any look is ok for them - I'd be tempted to add a bit more decoration.  Kal's scabbard looks a bit odd but switched for a cavalry sabre should be fine.  There is something a touch formal about the pose, as if he's waiting for cocmbat to begin.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

TheNephew

I do like - especially the head, since it works nicely as an Inquisitor-looking face.
I'm not sure on the pistol at the moment - in the pic we can see it in, it looks a bit too much like it was just stuck onto the hand. Rearranging the gun so that it looks a bit more natural in the hand, or swapping the hand for one holding a pistol and then swapping the gun for that one might work a little better.
The pose is less of an issue for me, but I agree that he doesn't look all that combat-y with his legs set like that, so swinging may not be the best arm position.

Tullio

Oh bugger! I was just going to use that head for a Thorian conversion. Oh well. Incidentally, did you have to remove the original head?

Tullio

Radu Lykan

yes, removing the thorian head, more specifically the neck, was not fun.
regarding the arm pose, would take a lot more work to have the arm extended with the sword pointing at his next victim, that was the look i was aiming for when i bought the parts. the position of the shoulder/arm makes it seem like the extended pose will be hard to pull off. will keep thinking.
regarding the stance, i imagine he is using small quick side on steps to out manouvre his enemy, he has just stepped in close to put a nice slice accross his opponents face? i am not a sword fighter, a question for anyone who is, what would be a realistic position for the arm/sword when the feet are in the current stance?

Nate

Based on fencing experience (not the most valid for actually trying to kill someone with a sword, but its all I got) the stance with the feet looks (from the angles of the photos) like he's got alot of weight on his front foot. I would suggest that the only time an experienced duelist would surrender a lower, more balanced guard would be after dispatching one opponent and preparing to move on to his next victim. with regards to his hand position I'd suggest having the blade outside the line of his body in a fairly low line, similar perhaps to the way that the Eisenhorn mini holds his blade.

That said, my fencing bears little resembalence to what I'd be doing with a sword if there was somebody infront of me actively trying to kill me, but I hope that helps slightly =/

Gestalt

He looks to be quite an imposing character. His head is gloriously stern and I love the weapons, especially the pistol.
"All things have sprung from nothing and are borne forward to infinity."
                                   Blaise Pascal

Necris

I'd rotate his pistol are by 90 degrees make he look like he's holding it back in reserve instead of reacting to an attack as he is clearly flat footed he looks like he's preparing himself to receive an attack using a cross guard hold for the sword

looks good but needs the arm rotating as I suspect it might make it look more comfortable
This here is my very favourite gun...I call her rita.

The Order of the Iron Rose - Necris' Inq28 Plog

Simeon Blackstar

To me he looks like he's shifting his weight forward in preparation to slash upwards from about right knee to left shoulder, but then I'm not a trained sword fighter  ;)

greenstuff_gav

Quote from: Necris on September 30, 2009, 08:18:38 PM
I'd rotate his pistol are by 90 degrees make he look like he's holding it back in reserve instead of reacting to an attack as he is clearly flat footed he looks like he's preparing himself to receive an attack using a cross guard hold for the sword

yeah, that  ;D
or even move the poisiton to mirror the sword; same angle, facing away to aid the movement of the swing?

an interesting observation i picked up from Andy Foster of Heresy is to make sure the eyes are facing the same way as the forward foot; helps give the impression of balance...
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination