Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Hans Vaanasaan

Started by Radu Lykan, April 06, 2010, 02:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radu Lykan

this thread will contain my work on Hans Vaanasaan http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=659.0

first up is a pic of his hunting companion, Ripper the venosaur

main question for ripper is paint scheme, the warband he accompanies will have the totally unoriginal black and red as its unifying colours. do i go with either some form of these colours to tie him in? do i go for greens or yellowish browns for a natural look or do i take his poisonous nature into account and go with bright warning colours?

TheNephew

I'd go with a natural scheme, but use his bionic add-ons to tie him to the rest of the group.
Red bionic eye/targeter, black metal plating over silver mechanisms, maybe also colour his dorsal spines that way too.
I assume that he's a suitable scale for ][ (can't remember off the top of my head), but is he dog or horse or bear sized?

Inquisitor Cade

I'd say go with jungle colours, but with a red stipe and two black stripes along his back or on each eye or some thing.
*Insert token witticism*

Brother_Brimstone

I think that by painting him entirely red and black you would run the risk of making it look a bit fake - natural earthy colours would definitely be much more realistic but you could always work the red and black in there in the way suggested - the bionics. If yuo wanted you could also try giving him red or black insignia or branding or whatever. Just suggestions, however, in the end you've got to do what you think looks best.

Myriad

Well, plenty of lizards(although less so for larger ones, admittedly) have colourful or even flamboyant patterning so you should feel free to be a bit creative when painting him.  I'd be wary of tying in his natural colouration to the warband, which as Brimstone mentions runs the risk of looking fake.

If it's the razordon model it'll be a good size for a large dog at Inq. scale - large enough to chew up a robo rex in any case.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Holiad

Nice to see someone else recognising the potential and quality of the Razordon model. From personal experience, I can recommend bright red/yellow/orange scales against a very dark skin, finished with a red wash, as a striking colour scheme which would fit in with the warband's overall theme without being too obvious about it, although a dark red washed down to near black would do better than a straight black coat at highlighting the detail of the skin.
Poor noble Marech
Noone 'till the end could see
Your brave heart of fire

Radu Lykan

been a little while but started getting hans' bits together while waiting for something else to dry. hopefully i will get a bit more work done on him now i have most of his bits and the legs/torso are glued.

he will be wielding a big axe just as soon as i find an axe head that i like, the dodgy join between legs and torso will be filled in with green stuff and covered with an ammo belt containing shells for the shot gun. i have quite a few other touches planned but you will have to wait and see, if they pan out nicely then pics will appear soon :)

Lucidum

Quote from: Radu Lykan on April 06, 2010, 02:31:41 PM

first up is a pic of his hunting companion, Ripper the venosaur

Question, how big is the Razordon model that you used for the basis of this char? I've been considering using one as a Loxatl or some such, but have yet to see the model in person. Is it human-sized-ish for 54mm scale?

Radu Lykan

been a while since i have had it out of its box so am not definite on its size, possibly a bit small but thats based on my mental image of a loxatl. i will post size comparison pics later tonight.

Radu Lykan

as promised, pic of lizard with a random selection of 54mm models, excuse the head on the thorian, i seem to have misplaced the bearded head i intend to model him with. been concentrating on terrain and bfg of late so no work done on hans

Lucidum

Hmmm, I guess that might work for a loxatl, possibly :3

Radu Lykan

look forward to seeing what you come up with

not much of an update but i have made a start on his ammo belt and added the holster for his revolver

hopefully next time i will get his arms or back pack sorted out, just gotta find the time ::)

JoelMcKickass

That fits the size in my head, they're not HUGE, but they're pretty big lizards, and thats one pretty big lizard...

Radu Lykan

yet again had very little time to work on hans this week, did manage to get the techno backpack receiver thing that lets him see what ripper is seeing pretty much done. did a bit of work on his arms but unfortunatley it looked a bit off so have pulled it apart again. anyway heres the video receiver backpack.

hopefully i can get over the problem with the arms next time, get his head pinned on and then sculpt a hood around his neck, time permitting of course

Radu Lykan

Finally pulled my finger out and hans is nearly finished :)
Main thing left is to add a wire from back pack to auspex and add in a tiny rebreather.

Something seems to have been distorted in the pic, his fists look huge!

Now I just need to decide on whether or not to just paint these two now or wait till the rest of the mob is finished?