Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Pizarro's Marcus Fenix Look-a-like Painted

Started by Van Helser, December 19, 2009, 02:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Van Helser

I bought and painted Pizarro's "Space Trooper" as a Christmas present for someone, but thought I'd share photos of it anyhow in its unconverted state.

First off, components:

Having the whole right arm separate is nice, as that gun is pretty 40k without much modification.  The casting of the model was okay, but I had a right time bending the legs to get them to fit the base properly, and even then had to fill the gaps with Procreate.

I painted the model to match the Gears of War trooper colours, i.e. dark with some blue lights!

I'm pretty happy with how the paintjob turned out.  Highlighting all the individual armour panels was a pain, but I think it was well worth the effort.  Just wish I could have added some more colour!

Stupidly, I forgot to take a scale shot before I wrapped him up and handed him over, but height-wise he probably would look Eisenhorn in the eye, but he's a lot narrower than most.  He's more properly scaled than your average Inquisitor figure, which is ironic considering how wide the character he's based on is!  No hulking muscles here!

Ruaridh

Kaled

That's a really nice paint job - one of your best I think.  He's not a bad model either - I'd like to see him 40k-ified sometime though.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Hadriel Caine

Quote from: Kaled on December 19, 2009, 03:19:57 PM
I'd like to see him 40k-ified sometime though.

oh you will....

nice paintjob mate. nice to see some of that range done by clavers rather than just the website versions.
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

kierkegaard

I agree with Dave - I also think that this is one of your best paint jobs.

The highlights (on the shin pads in particular) really glow, and the skin looks great. Very nicely done. I think that your friend will be pleased with their present.

Van Helser

Cheers guys.

The recipient is sitting right here, and she is very pleased with her gift.  And that's all that counts!

Carados

He's so skinny it's wrong!!

Looking good though.

MarcoSkoll

Very nice. I don't think anyone could be disappointed with receiving such a spectacular piece of artwork.

Quote from: Carados on December 20, 2009, 10:42:40 PMHe's so skinny it's wrong!!
I'd say that it's believable enough proportions for a human trooper.

Admittedly, it's not the "brick house" proportions seen in the Gears of War universe, but I imagine the model was being made to fit with the rest of a range, and had to be made more averagely proportioned for that reason.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Carados

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on December 21, 2009, 02:55:46 AM
Quote from: Carados on December 20, 2009, 10:42:40 PMHe's so skinny it's wrong!!
I'd say that it's believable enough proportions for a human trooper.

Admittedly, it's not the "brick house" proportions seen in the Gears of War universe, but I imagine the model was being made to fit with the rest of a range, and had to be made more averagely proportioned for that reason.

Oh your totally right on that account.  It was said with tongue in cheek since I'm one of those casual gamers who has played it for so long it's warped their sense of familiarity, even if it is wrong in the first place.  Only applies to Gears mind, I swear.   ::)

Saussure

This is lovely stuff, Ruaridh - the highlighting on the blacks is crisp and distinct without looking too stark, which is clearly a sign of a good paint job. Not only that, but you look to have achieved a very respectable "gore" effect on the chain blade, which is something I think is hard to make at all convincing.

Two thumbs up!

Herodotus Benedict Saussure
Ordo Hereticus Terran
Forum Moderator

Sneak

Awesome paint job on a pretty cool model. I need to steal me one of those gun/chainblades. Wish I could paint something that nice... practice practice practice.

Only thing I will say is, especially on the back photo, his pose seems a little camp. Like a bouncer in Soho

precinctomega

Van Helser

Woops; totally forgot to reply to this!

For the bloodstains I first applied Devlan Mud, then Baal Red from the new washes, before mixing up my trusty old style Red and Black Inks (about 60/40) and adding some streaks.  There are a couple of streaks of plain Red Ink to add some real shine.  From what I know of the Tamiya paints, the colour and composition would be very similar between the Red Ink and Clear Red I'm sure.

As for the nice paintjob, I can't recommend constructing a wet palette enough.  My results have skyrocketed since getting a kitchen sponge, greaseproof paper and Inquisitor model tray cobbled together.  Get bodging people!

Ruaridh