Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Witchhunter, Radical, Rogue Trader, Spy - Keravin does Inq28mm

Started by Keravin, July 03, 2011, 12:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keravin

I've gotten the Inq 28 bug and have been converting quite a lot to build up warbands.   Originally it was just going to be a Rogue Trader with his away team, but with the potential Inquisitor invitational needing an Inquisitor I started on that as well.   This plog will serve as a record of building and painting the warbands as well as character stuff.

Particularly given this is the Conclave I'll try and give a clear idea of why I'm gone with the character choices I have.   In the three warbands I'm doing only two characters so far have power or melta weapons, no boltguns, no power armour etc.    I'm well aware that model is just the start, but I figured now I've gotten these to a level where the character behind the model is becoming the focus that I might as well start plogs outside of my normal one on Ammobunker.

The crew so far for the Rogue Trader.   

The Rogue Trader, Rogen Frey, is the least advanced in terms of building as I wanted an idea of what the rest of the crew would have before settling on him.   My plan for his sword is for it to have a shock generator, to give it some power without going the power weapon route, particularly as I think he'd be much more minded to go with a better pistol of some description rather than a fancy sword.   I can see him staying as a gunfighter like Kal, but I need to do some more work to change the model so it's not so stock.

You also have the pilot/Thief - a man who really doesn't want to be there, but who has skills that Frey feels will be of use planetside.   This guy started as a normal guardsman, but I found that as I started adding bits his role switched.   He's clearly not heavily armed and I see him trying to avoid doing anything heroic during a game.  His plan is to get to where he has to and do the job and then run like crazy.

The ex guardsman I like to call Lemmy - the basic muscle for the group - but someone (like the rest of the crew) who would not be out to get into a mas fight.   Better to pick your targets.   The model is an old Catachan tank rider with a space wolf scout head.   The head pretty much changed the whole character of the model and combined with the very relaxed pose led to his current persona.   He won't be called Lemmy, but he so reminds me of him.

Finally the Xeno-arcanist, a source of knowledge for Frey, but with very much his own agenda.   I figured as a scientist of sorts that he would dress in a semi practical way hence an armoured gauntlet just in case things bite.   He started out as becoming either a Bonded Emmissary, but when I started getting bits out I found things like the bones and that directed me towards doing him as he currently stands.   Need to finish off smoothing his arms in place and he'll be getting a cyberskull by his feet to record artifacts etc as he journeys with Frey.

I'll put up pictures and descriptions of the other warbands and plan is to start writing their characters up now I have a better idea of who they are.

The characters are still forming, but building them has been very helpful in getting me to reflect character in the model and helping establish certain traits already that will inform writing their backstory.

MarcoSkoll

It looks like you're going to avoid the main criticisms of Inq28, and not just use unconverted "Tom, Dick and Harrys" from your 40k army, but some converted and unique models for some non standard archetypes, so congratulations on that.

But one important thing about your modelling - Green stuff is not a substitute for Superglue. It's a weaker join and it usually squeezes out around the edges (giving you things that will only look unsightly when painted).

There are rare cases where it's the most sensible adhesive, but you do need to pay careful attention and cut away/smooth out any that oozes out around the edges. Most of the time, it's far better to superglue it, then gap fill if necessary.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

blacknight

Looking pretty nice.

I especially like the converted tank rider has a nice relaxed look of a serious soldier taking his ease while still being aware of the surroundings.  Just remember to seal the block he is sitting on prior to spray painting.

What was the original model for the xeno-arcanist?

Regards

Blacknight/Marc
Well you can do what you want, the technical branch are going to stay here and keep her afloat!! - Diesel CPO Otto Fricke, U505, Nov 10 1942 - On being ordered to abandon ship.

Keravin

MarcoSkoll - thanks for the comments.   In some cases I have overused greenstuff.  However things like the Lemmy head needed it due to the way it was trimmed.   Things have been reglued where appropriate.

Blacknight - thanks.   No spray painting with Lemmy for that very reason.  I've painted styrofoam before so I know the danger :)     The original model for the Xeno- arcanist was Confessor Kyrinov.   Head and arms removed. 

Been picking up new models for use in INQ28.   I'm swapping one Vostroyan for another to better convert.   

One of Studio McVey figures who will get a new gun to go with the Rogue Trader's band.    I think this means the pilot/thief will just become a Thief letting this guy be the new Pilot.   

Another Mcvey mini.   Lightly armed sniper.   Again I think she will probably go with the Rogue Trader as he seems someone more likely to tread lightly, but have a sniper in his back pocket if it goes badly.

I'm writing up backgrounds and slowly working on everyone, though it's my Witchhunter warband which is getting the focus because it's most likely to get played soonest.   I'll do an overview of those guys when I get chance, but I'm using the backgrounds to help inform the modelling.    I'm definitely trying to read around and I have flaws in every character, particularly the two Inquisitors.   It's been quite a slow process, but I think that will help pay dividends with much more connection to the characters.

Keravin

Given I've started discussing the stats and backgrounds of the Witchhunter warband I figured I should show them.

The Witchhunters consist of:

Lynch - The Witchhunter
Uriah - The Pariah - human ganger wasting away every time he's forced to use his ability.
Callidion - Ex Arbitrator
Malakai - Gunfighter, still after all these years trying to open Lynch's eyes up to pragmatism.
Father Jericus - Priest
Sister Jezaiil - Sister Repentia
Magnos Ignace - Tech Priest

Lynch - Young Inquisitor, who some of his own band think still sees things too simplistic.   Gave up his old life when he became an acolyte, but remnants of that life are coming into where he is based and he may have to confront it.

Uriah -  Being eaten away as he comes into contact with things that make him use his ability.   Terrified of Lynch and being forced to put himself into situations.   Hates psykers and daemons seeing them as the cause of his pain.

Head has been changed on Uriah since this pic.

Callidon - Ex Arbitrator - Lynch's Hammer.   From a shrine world

Keravin

Malakai - Previously worked for Lynch's Mistress and joined him when he was accorded Inquisitor status.   Thinks that Lynch is simplistic in his viewpoint of rights and wrongs sometimes.    Veteran of many investigations.

Sister Jezaiil - Seeking penance in battle and death.    The only way to redeem herself.

Magnos Ignace - Unusually for the group not a religious man in the same sense as the others.   Following instructions from the Adeptus Mechanicus and looking for artifacts.

Father Jericus - The well travelled priest.   Views Uriah as a project – get him to see his role in serving the Emperor.   The autogun is a weapon of last resort.   Far better to deliver zeal, much like his Master.

Molotov

Glad to see pictures of these models spreading through the internet... I'm keen to see them on the field of battle! (And lo, away to Ammobunker...)
INQ28 Thread | INQ28 Blog
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

Heroka Vendile

Great warbands, nice conversion work. The Cygnar warlock model is a nice conversion base. Any paint jobs forthcoming?

However I don't recognise the body of Jazaiil, another Studio McVey?
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Keravin

Thanks Heroka.   I've been building the figures before starting painting as I'm just finishing off a Tau army.   The Repentia is a Dark Age model.

Easy E

Knowing the speed and high skill level at which you paint, these will be done in.....

I'm surprised they're not done yet.  :o

The warband is looking good, if not a bit large.  Let's you choose models as needed. 
^Cheapskate^

Keravin

The idea with all the warbands is to give options.  The Inqvitational is looking at warbands of 6 to be picked from and all the 3 (maybe now 4) I'm building have at least that number, with the one I'm looking at using having 7 at the moment.

Well finally started putting paint onto models.

Father Jericus has ended up being the one I've worked on most.   I've tried for a slightly different pallete, working up the robe from a different colour to normal.

Lynch is started, but now I'm figuring what to make his predominant colour.

And the cyberhound for Callidon is started.   Gone for a barcode on the shoulderblade, but I am thinking I might paint the shoulders black or deep red then redo the barcode.

After Molotov's refresher of where his bands are at and after sourcing some new models, including the Chaos Champion I want to use for the Radical's techpriest and Yarrick who will now become my Rogue Trader after conversion, I've been rejigging the bands around.  Trying to get a different feel and outlook with each group as well as look at the modelling opportunities.

I've also started looking at building for GMing INq54 and got at least one NPC ready to go.   That thread will probably have to wait until the campaign is started and the NPC has come into play at least once.

Keravin

Well I had planned to post up pictures of how the new retinues all look and the revised thinking on them, but I decided to stop waiting for people to actually buy things off me and bought my Grey knights kit so I could build my new Inquisitor.

Very much based on Migsula's work on dakka, but modified to fit my skill and I wanted a different weapon.

Now both arms need some work on them to get them smooth and consistent.     This is probably my good guy Inquisitor - not a radical, not a zealot.

And I think will work well with his new Interrogator.

wargame_insomniac

Very nice- I like these two new figures a lot.

Can't wait to see them on gaming table.

Cheers

James

Keravin

They're probably down the list to get painted.   Lynch and the Rogue Trader are probably the first warbands that will see action.

I've been working on lists and functions for all the characters across all the warbands.   One thing that had bothered me was Molotov already used Solomon Lok as was and the pose is great, but didn't necessarily fit my vision for the Radical Inquisitor he is going to be.

Less combat aggressive and more threatening from other powers pov which fits with his stance.   Of all the Inquisitors I'm working with he's the meanest and will sacrifice you as soon as look at you.

Then for the good guy's retinue I've moved over the Kal Jerico model that was going to be my Rogue Trader conversion. 

Minor conversion, but I think gives him a different feel.   Also frees up his cutlass to be used elsewhere.

Slight modification on the new Inquisitor to change his sword based on feedback and Commissar Molotov has made me a new Magos for Lynch's warband which I'm gobsmacked about.   Got my new Yarrick through and started work on him to turn him into my Rogue Trader.

Keravin

Right chopping has taken place and Rogen Frey, my Rogue Trader has started taking shape.

I'm definitely thinking the staff needs shortening.    If I don't go with the staff I'm a little at a loss as to what to hold in that hand as the other is getting the gun and he's got a sheathed sword.

Modified the Interrogator last night as well.

Shoulder pads replaced with Kroot and arms moved.  Changed I symbols on the model as well after trimming then off elsewhere.

And switched symbol on him as well for one I carved off Coteaz.

Might actually get to play a game next week.