Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Scum, Subs, and Muties

Started by Van Helser, September 10, 2012, 11:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Van Helser

Earlier this year I wrote a draft of a Dark Magenta article focussing on the underclasses of the Imperium.  I came up with a bunch of archetypes and decided that I really must do a model for each of them to illustrate them properly.  The summer has been spent gradually building these models with the article hanging around waiting for them!  At last I'm about ready to start painting. 

The Reclaimator

Inspired by the Inquisitor's Handbook for Dark Heresy, this downtrodden character shifts through the detritus of the underhive looking for discarded tech.  He hopes one day to come across a decent bionic leg to replace his withered right limb.  His shotgun was inspired by the combat shotgun from Fallout 3.

The Reclaimator Construct

Straying close to the heresy of AI, the construct has a level of independence far above what a techpriest would consider suitable for a simple servitor.  The body of this comes from the Mordheim Clan Skyre rat ogre, the head is a servo skull, and the arms are from Kromlech, who design parts to modify 40k models, in this case, Orks.

The Afriel Strain

The article also includes False Men, created by the hands of others.  The veteran Afriel Strain guardsman's bionic arm shows signs of the calamities he has survived.

The Son Of Meridian

This shapeshifter is an example of a transgenic blasphemy, where the holy double helix of man has been corrupted with xenos DNA.  This model will hopefully look like it's midway through transforming into/from a guardsman from/into its original form.  I need to rebase him so he's not staring at the floor.

The Scaly

This abhuman shares similar features with the Scalies of Necromunda, though was found in the hidden corners of the Carthax Sector.  This model is Uggurd, the Falx-Brute from the Bane Legions range.  A very bulky model, I had to add stones to the base to get him to fit on a 40mm base.  That's some lunge he's doing...

Painting will hopefully begin next week.

Ruaridh

RobSkib

I *love* the reclaimator construct, I want one as a pet! :D Nice job on the chap as well, his boot is well done. I'd like to see some rear shots of him though to see what kind of gubbinz you're going to attach to him. Also, will you be keeping the jaw bone attached to his belt? Perhaps you could paint it silver and claim it's his lucky bionic jaw ;) His gun, on the other hand, doesn't sit right with me. I think the grip is too far away from the trigger, and the barrel isn't long enough. Comparing it to the actual shotty from Fallout (of which I am a massive fan), I did a bit of photoshopping to show you what I mean.

You've already identified the only problem I have with the Transgenic, he's spotted a Throne Gelt mid-stride and is debating whether he has time to pick it up. Otherwise excellent, but you'll really have to pull your finger out on the paint job to do it justice. If you can, it'll be a spectacle.

The bottom chap is nice, it's always good to have more brutes, but I think his head needs to be angled down somehow, it does look like his eyeline is off in the heavens somewhere.

Great stuff! I can't wait to see them painted =D
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Cortez

The mutants head definitely needs to be angled differently, at the moment it looks like he's fighting a giant or someone a long way above him(which could be what you were intending).

I can't say that I like the gun on the reclaimator though. The magazine near the end of the barrel just looks odd to me and would surely unbalance the weapon.

I'll be interested to see how the others turn out, especially the shapeshifter.

Van Helser

Totally missed the Scaly's head and resultant eyeline from raising him up on the stone.  That definitely needs altering.

The shotgun does look very impractical, but I'm going to "rule of cool" it.  The inspirational piece does look off with the magazine position, but maybe with Rob's suggestions it will look better.

As for the jawbone, it's part of the gubbins the Reclaimator is gathering to build another construct.  In his pouch is a tube from an old Killa Kan, and I am going through my bits box for more crap to give him.  The Toothpick Murke torso I've given him has some lovely pouches on the back.  Plenty of room for all sorts of surprises in there!

Van Helser

Progress has been slow, but I have the first two models to show in their finished state, the Reclaimator and the Construct:

The Reclaimator does look he's got a wonky eye in that first shot, but it doesn't look so on the model, honest!  I took Rob's advice and modified the shotgun slightly.  It's still unwieldy looking, but it does remind me a little of Mk. I boltguns in design.  I tried to leave him looking dirty, like he's crawling around in dusty scrapyards, and was almost tempted to break out the weathering powder... I may yet do so, but I think I'll practice on another model first!

The Construct has turned out really well, if I do say so myself.  Comprised of rusty metal and the carcass of some poor soul, this aberration will have any Adepts of Mars that come across reaching for their bolt pistols - tech heresy at its finest!

Ruaridh

seaglen

Just fantastic!

I love the underhive low life characters. They always remind me of early artworks of muties/scum etc.
That mech-construct is very interesting! The body is from a rat ogre you say? excellent use of parts!

Cortez

The construct looks superb. I love the rusted weathered look, nice and sinister, definitely needs purging.

The reclaimator's gun looks a lot better now that you've shortened it. However you might want to do some work on the weathering and dirtying of the model as he looks a bit clean (could be the photo). One of the most interesting things about this model is that it highlights how overly withered the mutants leg is. It never looks as bad as that on Quovandius and Emissary Fabian.

Quickdraw McGraw

Great job Ruaridh!   Can't wait to see the ;D others! 
Every time I see a math word problem in the warp it looks like this: 

If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 apples. How many pancakes will fit on the roof?

Answer:  Purple because Tyranids don't wear hats.   :P

Radu Lykan

i must agree with cortez, it might just be the photo but i am not seeing "I tried to leave him looking dirty, like he's crawling around in dusty scrapyards" he looks pretty clean, awesome model though, really like the gun.
the construct looksgood, i especially like the blend of in/organic bits

Dwi

Fan of Fallout 3 eh Ruaridh? That hase to be one of my most beloved games ever (though I prefure new vegas).

But anywho I have to say that thats a pretty damn good moddel there. Interesting consept too. So much so that you have inspired me to make one of my own. Not often someone dose that.
May The Emperor protect us from the dakness of the void. That or we can run around in little cricles and wave our arms and shout

Seargent Maxwell Forest

The construct looks great just how a evil robot should. ;D
"What happens to the Imperium should it realy achieve peace?"

Hadriel Caine

Cool stuff Van. Looking forward to seeing them all painted up.
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

Alyster Wick

You really have a knack for giving new life to tired and old parts. I'm definitely borrowing heavily from your combinations and concepts. Specifically I love the ramshackle skeleton-droid. I may look at doing something which combines the awful machine from the film Hardware with the concept you've created here. I have tons of mechanical bits so it's just a matter of time before I start assembling rogue AIs...

Covenant

The shotgun is superb. There's loads of great looking weapons on Fallout. I might go for a gatling laser on my next bod.

I like the skeleton too. In particular, his reaching out pose is really sinister. Great stuff!

Van Helser

Presenting the Afriel Strain guardsman:

Now that Dark Magenta is back up, I am rushing through the last three models so that there are some pictures to go with the entries.  I've noticed a couple of splashes of paint in the photos that I will touch up before getting some final pics together for the article.

Now, for that Scaly...

Ruaridh