Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy - underhive WIPs

Started by seaglen, January 14, 2014, 08:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seaglen

Thanks for the feedback - Blue it is. I think it will make the model less busy, and hopefully the white should draw the eye as well.

Radu Lykan

Seeing the face painted puts me in mind of dark age dragyrri(sp)
Might be from there if anyone is looking

seaglen

Another thread from the dead!

Whilst waiting for glue to dry on my inquisitor and imperial characters this afternoon, I bashed this guy together in a quick hour!
Another hive gang member, scavvy or pit fighter type:

He'll have some sculpting work to tidy up the joins and where his prosthetic (made from old bits of sprue and a lasgun!) meets his leg.

mcjomar

That's a good use of parts.
I like how well the gun arms pair with the torso and legs - and that's a nice twist on the old stone legs to boot. Good show!
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

seaglen

Thanks ! - just waiting for milliput to arrive now to tidy him up (along with a few others waiting for some sculpting).

And now for some actual villainy to lead the scum - I've put together a particularly terrifying Chaos magos/Cult leader - made from nagas'h legs, Mynarc's upper body and the Eldar's alternative head - this fit so well when i popped them together, I really love his sinister appearance!

Any thoughts on colour palette for him? - I'm thinking he's Chaos Undivided, but want something distictive rather than black/gold only...?

mcjomar

My kneejerk is red/silver but IIRC that's the paintscheme for Mynarc anyway.
I'd also have suggested an off-tan with bronze, but that's a little close to death-guard.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

Mentirius

Those Nagash legs are one of my all-time favourite Inquisitor parts and this is a great use of them; same goes for the ranger head.  Another inspired creation.

Personally I like strong colour contrasts on a Chaos Magus, like a venomous animal's markings...  Combinations that scream "I'm so loud and dangerous, even the Inquisition doesn't scare me!"  A more muted/dirty palette is all very well for a minion, but I see a Magus as preaching from a stage and so forth, dressing to impress the rest of the cult and intimidate his enemies.  In that spirit, I could see white, yellow or lime green paired with black or midnight blue working well, although lighter/brighter colours are a bastard to actually paint large areas with from what I remember.  A couple of vague examples of what I'd consider loud/intimidating colour schemes with straying into full Pink Horror territory:

I'm also of the opinion that using metallic paints on the Mynarc shoulder pad or sword is usually a wasted opportunity - treating it as matte daemonic flesh rather than metal gives a far wider range of potential effects, and picking out individual eyes on that sword is especially fun.  Some freehand iconography on the robe and/or armour would also be very juicy.

Feel free to ignore me of course, as it has been an embarrassingly long time since I last held a brush!

seaglen

Yes I definitely like the idea of something that 'screams' Chaos rather than the muted look for him - all great food for thought!

I've also begun the 'reboot' of an old demon host my friend had in his warband - I always liked the original 2001 model he made with 'tentacle arms' and will certainly carry this through - I may not give him bright red skin again however, just red-tinted perhaps?

Original friends' 2001 model:

He had green stuff small horns originally, so I'll pop some slightly larger ones on him to signify the time passing!

He had a wonderfully ghastly demeanor about him before, floating about trailing the long arms, so want to capture this in the reboot. I've so far replaced the torso with Damien's to give him a more foreboding stance:

mcjomar

Good combo of parts for the daemonhost.

As for colourscheme, the red and silver is also a nod to the wordbearers, ymmv.

seaglen

Mcjomar - Definitely will go for Word Bearers inspired methinks! great shout.

seaglen

I've also now got the peg-legged gang member all sculpted up and ready for painting.

mcjomar

I'm definitely curious to see how he turns out once painted.
You're making fantastic progress across all these threads!

seaglen

Following a couple of days hiatus (was my partners birthday after all...), I managed to make progress on the demon host!

I'm really happy with the sinister looming and visceral aura he has!
I'll most likely go plaid skin which blends to purple/pink tentacles on his arms/back - although I'd like to try to stay in the red side of things to pay homage to the original, but just feel it could be too cartoonish...?

I also filed away the detail on damiens face plate, giving him a blank, soulless facade:

mcjomar

Good job on the painting! And I'm curious to see how the daemonhost turns out too.