Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Community Xenos Challenge - Space Slann 54mm WIP

Started by Aurelius, August 26, 2016, 02:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurelius

Greetings,
Alright well inspiration has struck again, after digging through my recent Call of Cthuhlu kickstarter haul from RAFM. Lovely minis, and one struck me in particular. It is some sort of large deep one, father Dagon I believe.

But to me it screamed one thing - Space Slann!

So to begin with a rough in with Blu tack.

A lovely gun, some kind of Eldar war walker heavy weapon. Lovely form and detailing, looks like an archaic rifle.

Not bad, too many teeth and not enough bling.

Top row of teeth off, helmet from a souvenir pencil from Greece, bent to suit. ( keep everything!!)

I think this is on the right track compared to my blanchian inspiration

Next up fur, feathers and a plume I think. Maybe some padded armour... what do you think?
Cheers Aurelius

Van Helser

That's great. 

Padded armour is a must for all figures in Inquisitor...

I would maybe try to take the gemstones off the gun to de-Eldar-ify it a bit.  It's still quite identifiable as a shuriken cannon.

Ruaridh

realitybytes16

Cool and unusual mini dude, weirdly I never thought the Slann were a thing in 40k, but obviously Mr. Blanche likes the thought of it. Either that, or he sees the Slann from Fantasy (or AoS) using flamethrowers, which I could see happening - especially in AoS.

Lord Borak

That's awesome. All the odd parts just seem to work together and give him an oddly hi-tech but devolved look. Te removal of the teeth is also a good move. It makes him look far less predatory (and realistic).

The one thing I'd change though is his wrist. Just bend/cut it so that his right hand is actually holding his gun. It just looks a bit odd at the moment.

Aurelius

Cheers all, it really is just a rough WIP for now of course.

Quote from: Van Helser on August 27, 2016, 08:47:46 AM
That's great. 

Padded armour is a must for all figures in Inquisitor...

I would maybe try to take the gemstones off the gun to de-Eldar-ify it a bit.  It's still quite identifiable as a shuriken cannon.

Ruaridh

A very good spot! I was working in rather poor light, but the thing is covered in the buggers. Will break out the file and get rid of them!

Quote from: realitybytes16 on August 27, 2016, 04:47:02 PM
Cool and unusual mini dude, weirdly I never thought the Slann were a thing in 40k, but obviously Mr. Blanche likes the thought of it. Either that, or he sees the Slann from Fantasy (or AoS) using flamethrowers, which I could see happening - especially in AoS.
They've been retconned out I would imagine by now. But if you google Space Slann, there was a range from the Rogue Trader days. Very rare and expensive now I think. They are possibly the Old Ones, who created the Eldar, Orks and Jokaero among others, so I think that this will be a good place to start for a warband.

Quote from: Lord Borak on August 28, 2016, 08:15:04 AM
That's awesome. All the odd parts just seem to work together and give him an oddly hi-tech but devolved look. Te removal of the teeth is also a good move. It makes him look far less predatory (and realistic).

The one thing I'd change though is his wrist. Just bend/cut it so that his right hand is actually holding his gun. It just looks a bit odd at the moment.
I've kept the bottom row to match the artwork. Right hand has now been cut off and repositioned, just hadn't got around to it yet.

I've done a little more work but no pictures yet, I need to pin everything in place then start work on the detailing. I think he will make a good companion for my Jokaero...

realitybytes16

A Jokaero and a Slann working together sounds like the start of a hilarious 40k buddy movie... not least because I just read that the Slann may have created the Jokaero :D.

RobSkib

When I scrolled past the image of the roman helmet I immediately thought "hah, that looks silly", then scrolled to the Blanche artwork and thought "dang, it's canon-silly and you've nailed it"

Are you going to add the extra plumes of hair and the fur lining too? I think that would really blend the helmet in with the rest of the body a lot more.
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Aurelius

Quote from: RobSkib on August 31, 2016, 09:15:36 AM
When I scrolled past the image of the roman helmet I immediately thought "hah, that looks silly", then scrolled to the Blanche artwork and thought "dang, it's canon-silly and you've nailed it"

Are you going to add the extra plumes of hair and the fur lining too? I think that would really blend the helmet in with the rest of the body a lot more.

Haha cheers mate - yes it is completely ridiculous, but I think it will work. It definately needs a giant plume at the back (I have the plume from an Avatar set aside), and will add the front broom bit sticking out as well. Then it is a fur jacket to blend it all together, I agree this will really help balance things out.

Quote from: realitybytes16 on August 29, 2016, 09:33:07 AM
A Jokaero and a Slann working together sounds like the start of a hilarious 40k buddy movie... not least because I just read that the Slann may have created the Jokaero :D.

Exactly right! I would like to say I planned it this way but just happened across this model, serendipitous I'd say. I think the group might work with an Eldar Ranger as well. Any other supposed creations of the Old Ones?