Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Tech-Priestess Orla Riall

Started by Kaled, August 02, 2009, 01:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaled

Again, this is rehash of another thread I posted on Warseer but am reposting it here as some people obviously missed it.

Orla Riall is a Tech-Priest working for Magos-Explorator Vaal Kryzak (but will often be used as the leader of the warband in place of Kryzak). The model is loosely based on John Blanche's sketch of Koriel Zeth in the Visions books and is converted from the Daemonhuntress model. Originally she was going to be armed with an Inferno Pistol, but I decided I wanted her to be the close-combat character of the group and decided to give her a Sollex-Aegis Energy Blade instead (as featured in The Inquisitor's Handbook for Dark Heresy).

First off, the WIP pictures;

- Back -

And now the pictures of her painted where you can also see the Servo-scarab which I reworked a little - I was never happy with the dangling cables so replaced them with a little claw and flamer.

Finally (and slightly off-topic for this thread so if you want to discuss them please start a thread elsewhere), these are the rules I'm currently trialling for the energy blade.

Sollex-Aegis Energy Blade

A product of information obtained from the Aegis Data Fragment and utilising the properties of the Sollex focusing crystals, this is one of the rarest type of weapons in the Imperium - a power blade of coherent high-energy plasma. Devastatingly powerful, only a few Sollex-Aegis Energy Blades are held by individuals outside the Mechanicus, and their secrets little understood even by their makers in the mysterious Tech-Priest sect of Sollex. Although potent beyond even most power weapons, they can also prove treacherous to the unwary as the energy blade can fluctuate, laser containment fail, or the insubstantial blade slip unexpectedly. [From The Inquisitor's Handbook p.135]

Reach=3 Damage=3D10+4 Parry penalty=-10%

- Assuming the character has the hilt in their hand, activating or deactivating the energy blade is a free action that can be combined with other actions as normal.
- If an energy blade is parried, or successfully makes a parry, there is a 75% chance that the opponent's weapon is destroyed - even power, shock and force weapons are vulnerable to this effect. The energy blade itself cannot be destroyed by power weapons.
- While the energy blade does have a degree of density and mass, physical force applied to the swing contributes nothing to the weapons effect, and so no additional damage is done if the character's Strength is over 50.
- An unmodified roll of 96-100 when attempting to hit or parry means the insubstantial blade has slipped unexpectedly and the wielder suffers a hit from the energy blade to a random location.
- The energy blade consumes cannister fuel, with cannisters usually being worn on the belt and fed by a cable to the hilt. A cannister is good for 5 turns of operation (turns where the blade is active for at least half of the characters successful actions). Changing the cannister takes two actions.
- Due to the harsh actinic light and furnace-blast roar that the blade produces, the wielder cannot attempt to be stealthy while it is switched on. The GM should impose suitable modifiers to any awareness tests made to detect the character while the blade is activated.
- Deflect Shot can be used with an energy blade, however only shots from energy weapons can be rebounded back at the firer; solid rounds are vaporised by the plasma blade.

If anyone wants to read the original thread, it can be fround here;
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208046

Be seeing you,
Dave
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

RobSkib

Outstanding! What head did you use for her?
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Kaled

Hadriel Caine

Dave that is sweet. I missed the final paintjob on warseer as I've been on holiday for a couple of weeks. She looks cool, the armour is especially well done - i hate painting large areas of metal.
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

Tessio Niri

Wow Dave another brilliant addition to your collection. Any ideas what your next project will be?

T.
"There is but one God and his name is the Omnissiah. How his hunger extinguishes that light of the stars." Magos Belion Tygrosa

Kaled

Well, I've got a couple of ideas for more AdMech characters - next up will probably be a Skitarius kinda based on the cybernetic guard accompanying the Martian Emissary in John Blanche's sketch in Visions but with implanted Tau tech.  I'm also keen to do a Calculus-Logi armed with a rifle, based on the pic in The Inquisitor Sketchbook.

I've managed to get hold of a Tau Water Caste who along with a planned Air Caste sculpt will join my Fire Caste in making up a Tau warband.  I also got a Repentia who I'll probably convert to represent a battle sister, but in robes instead of armour.  Finally, I managed to get the Crime Lord model, and I have no idea what to do with him.

First though I'm building another vehicle...

MarcoSkoll

That sounds like no small number of projects you've got lined up. You're putting my inactivity to total shame.

I know I responded about the WIP model on Warseer, but not sure if I ever responded on the final version - I think it's a good use of the Daemonhuntress model, and it had never really struck me as something to use as a AdMech character but evidently, I just don't think out of the box enough.

Still not entirely sure about the braid, but I think I said enough about that before.

But overall, I like it. As far as the paintjob (the big difference between the stages), I have to agree with Adam - flat areas of metal aren't a strong point of mine, so I have to applaud your evident success.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

RobSkib

I don't suppose you happen to have any Tau heads spare do you? I'm also trying to put together a Tau warband (along with a snowbound board and a Tau outpost to match!), so good luck to you! If I couldn't get hold of one, my other plan was to scratch-build one, either that or take eisenhorn and dremel his nose off...
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Aidan

The priestess looks great, in that slightly-twisted 40k'ish way. Her 'robe' is beautifully done. Greenstuff or tomato-paste tube, or what? The cyber skulls are pretty neat, does she actually count as accompanied by them or are they just decorative? And I love the paint job.
You've captured the Adpetus Mechanicus feel very well.

Her pose, perhaps, seems a little unnatural, but I'd say that comes more from the model you've used as a base. The Daemon huntress looks great as she is, but I've learned from experience that converting her can be a real pain since she's so incredibly static.

All in all, great work. Puts a lot of my recent work to shame, which spurs me to improve my act.

-Aidan.

Macabre

I find your use of the daemonhuntress for a techpriestess intriguing, Kaled, I may have to steal it....
++Believe the lie. Trust no one++

Kaled

Quote from: RobSkib on August 02, 2009, 10:46:52 PM
I don't suppose you happen to have any Tau heads spare do you?
I don't, sorry - the Water Caste I got on eBay didn't have the spare heads (or the drone for that matter).

Quote from: Aidan on August 02, 2009, 10:59:29 PM
Her 'robe' is beautifully done. Greenstuff or tomato-paste tube, or what?
A sheet of ProCreate.  What I do need to practice though is getting more creases and folds in the material.

QuoteThe cyber skulls are pretty neat, does she actually count as accompanied by them or are they just decorative?
They count as a bio-scanner and motion-tracker - I figure that's enough, she has enough rules to remember as it is...

Simeon Blackstar

So, who sees these energy blades turning up on robed inquisitors with Acrobatic, Force Pu... Psychic Impel, etc.?  ;D

Lovely model as we've come to expect from you Kaled.  You really do keep raising the bar for everyone.

Adlan

Beautiful model once again, fits right in with the rest of the warbands theme.

But it seems as if the Energy blade is expressly designed to make Hanja's Day Unhappy. :D

Kaled

Quote from: Adlan on August 06, 2009, 09:08:33 PM
But it seems as if the Energy blade is expressly designed to make Hanja's Day Unhappy. :D
No, the Pariah is expressly designed to make Hanja's Day Unhappy. :D  After being repeatedly hit by psychic powers at NSOL, Kryzak now has some psychic protection...

Dust King

Just a thought about the braid, you could say it's so bulky because it conceals a MIU link cable she uses to interface with cognitors and the like. Still awesome model  ;)