Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Resurrecting Dark Magenta

Started by MarcoSkoll, November 17, 2018, 06:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

Although it'd be great to get Inquisitor battle reports from any source, I'm looking into arranging games specifically for the purpose of writing up for Dark Magenta. These will obviously differ from standard Conclave events, being more exclusive, somewhat slower paced (in order to have time to take notes/photos) and without the same overarching narrative structure.

At the moment, I'm planning this for the London area (although I may look at other locations in future). If you're interested as either a player or a gamesmaster (of either scale), get in touch.
Once I find enough willing victims, I'll try to work out some good match-ups and sort out dates for us to meet.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

SwordlordRoy

Another thought: Eras of Play.

How do games in the Gathering Storm differ from games set in the Age of Apostasy? Would games set in the Horus Heresy have different weapons and Space Marine armour marks in addition to lacking an Inquisition (which I know I'd probably replace with the not entirely Space Marine Knights Errant)? Would games set on the Imperium Nihilus side of the Era of the Dark Imperium (current 40k storyline as of this writing) differ from games set in the Imperium Sanctus?

Radu Lykan

Missed this, I'd be happy to add pics of my deathwatch marine to anything marine related. Maybe a couple of paragraphs on how I have found using him. Actual hobby time is mostly spent on organising necromunda events at the moment but come April that should change a bit.

Heroka Vendile

This all kicked off shortly before I went on holiday, but I jotted down some rough thoughts which I will now regurgitate for you all.

As a starting point I always felt that the old issues should have been split up and made available as the individual articles – much easier to find what you're looking for that way. So in the same vein, I would propose an article-by-article release rather than a periodical issuing, while not as immediately impressive, if a regular publishing schedule of some sort can be established that would balance out the couple months wait between "issues".
We could even use re-issueing the original articles individually as a starting point, giving us a very helpful buffer of pre-written articles from the get-go if we want to attempt any kind of regular publishing schedule.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Heroka Vendile

Article concepts (part 1)
(none of which I stake any claim to necessarily writing, though I do suggest participants for a couple of them):

28mm Retrospectives – we have a handful of 54mm retrospectives in the archive, would should seek out talented 28mm modellers/painters to do some as well.

Showcase – each article briefly features around a handful of conversions by different modellers all based from the same base model. (recurring feature)

Spectacle V Intimacy – GM advice article on ways to find the balance on the tabletop between grand schemes and human misfortunes.

In'f'me! In'f'me! They've all got it in'f'me! – keeping your villains and evil-doer PCs relatable

Wargaming for Poets – A selection of players & GMs reflect on their favourite in-character gaming moments. (possible recurring feature?)

Raiding the Toy Box – repurposing childhood toys and other random discoveries into vehicles, scenery, etc. (possible recurring feature?)
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Heroka Vendile

Article concepts (part 2)
The Culexus that Broke the GMs Back – how to deal with uber powerful PCs & NPCs. The article name comes from when Ruaridh and I were play testing his Culexus Assassin rules for publishing in a DM article years ago.

Imitation is the Sincerest Form of Flattery – where and how to get inspiration for characters and plots

High Conclave: Forging the Rules – an edited transcript of a (moderated?) roundtable discussion of the creation, development and evolution of the rules of Inquisitor between Gav Thorpe, Robey Jenkins (abandoned fan-made 2nd Ed) & David Fincher (revised armoury)

High Conclave: Organising Events – an edited transcript of a (moderated?) roundtable discussion of the issues running Inquisitor events/tournaments - the people that come to mind as running the most 54mm events are Robey, David & Ruaridh, be good to have a dedicated 28mm GM in the mix if there's someone suitable?

Some of these are partial re-treads of old articles, but they're generally 10+ years old so an updated version shouldn't be discounted.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

MarcoSkoll

Right - now I've got the forum's problems sorted and I should actually be able to post a reply without it erroring out, let's respond to this one.

Quote from: Heroka Vendile28mm Retrospectives – we have a handful of 54mm retrospectives in the archive, would should seek out talented 28mm modellers/painters to do some as well.
While this would be welcome, there is some crossover here with the "28 MAG" project (as Molotov mentions), so we don't want too much competition or toe-treating.

That said, I do think it's important to establish 28mm content in Dark Magenta.

QuoteShowcase – each article briefly features around a handful of conversions by different modellers all based from the same base model. (recurring feature)

Spectacle V Intimacy – GM advice article on ways to find the balance on the tabletop between grand schemes and human misfortunes.

In'f'me! In'f'me! They've all got it in'f'me! – keeping your villains and evil-doer PCs relatable

Wargaming for Poets – A selection of players & GMs reflect on their favourite in-character gaming moments. (possible recurring feature?)

Raiding the Toy Box – repurposing childhood toys and other random discoveries into vehicles, scenery, etc. (possible recurring feature?)

The Culexus that Broke the GMs Back – how to deal with uber powerful PCs & NPCs. The article name comes from when Ruaridh and I were play testing his Culexus Assassin rules for publishing in a DM article years ago.

Imitation is the Sincerest Form of Flattery – where and how to get inspiration for characters and plots
All good ideas. I can certainly contribute to some of these, but I'd certainly also be interested to hear others thoughts on many of these, so I don't think I'd want to be a sole contributor to any of them.

QuoteHigh Conclave: Forging the Rules – an edited transcript of a (moderated?) roundtable discussion of the creation, development and evolution of the rules of Inquisitor between Gav Thorpe, Robey Jenkins (abandoned fan-made 2nd Ed) & David Fincher (revised armoury)
I could certainly see that working. Gav is generally fairly willing to talk to podcasts and the like, so I'd say we'd have a reasonable chance of talking him into it.
Robey might be a little harder to convince, as he's got new things on his plate, but he would be a good choice - and I'd also like to see if we could get Derek involved (seeing as he was involved in some of the early errata, and of course the very important "Giving Birth to a Monster" article).

Is there anyone else we can think of who's still in touch with the community (major Exterminatus/Fanatic contributors?). Any volunteers for a moderator?

(I have to note that some of this will be conversation that I've had with Gav before though, so I'll have to try and avoid too much referencing old discussions!)

QuoteHigh Conclave: Organising Events – an edited transcript of a (moderated?) roundtable discussion of the issues running Inquisitor events/tournaments - the people that come to mind as running the most 54mm events are Robey, David & Ruaridh, be good to have a dedicated 28mm GM in the mix if there's someone suitable?
I've already got something planned (and quite a lot of it written) about writing for events, but I'm not beyond such an idea instead/as well.

I'm not sure how many prolific 28mm GMs I can think who are either still involved or likely to be interested in getting involved (I think a lot of people drift into Inquisimunda instead), but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm happy to involve people.
(Partly because I'd kind of like to hear any good advice as well - so far I've mostly struggled to engage players for 28mm events).
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles