Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Marco does something

Started by MarcoSkoll, November 18, 2009, 12:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

How are you gentlemen? All your base are belong to us.

I've had loose plans for a Xanthite warband for some time. It's something I planned to do in 54mm scale, but a while back decided I'd shift it to the Abraxis sector and do it in dual scale for Koval's upcoming Ancient Rites event.
This means I don't have to ditch the original plans but they're also now close enough in galactic terms that the 28mm models can add to the number of Radicals at INQvitational events.

The starting idea I had was for a combat based Slaaneshi daemonhost - while she'll have psychic powers, they'll not be major offensive ones and she'll mostly deal damage in melee. I'm seeing a once human being who ascended to daemonhood, only to later be bound back to (marginally) human form by the Xanthite.

I originally got this idea in my head after seeing something of a parody of fantasy armour involving a six breasted jaguar lady (in a word: "deviantART") and I'm planning on sticking with the core ideas. After all, I love parodying things and she's a daemon - internal organs are optional.

What I'm here about is that while I was sketching out the torso armour, I realised the armour cutout wasn't so far from a familiar shape... and this is what happened when I tried to incorporate it:

My question to you lot is: Does it work, or is the =][= design just too stupid to try and include?
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

renegade thor

i think it works . its different ill give you that , but i like it
question the heretic, beat the heretic, burn the heretic , kill the heretic ,dispose of the heretic and have a coffee to relax

MarcoSkoll

In a vain attempt to make this thread title mildly accurate, I give you a excerpt from the work in progress on a character redesign that has been sidelined for way too long.

So, Staff Sergeant Silva Abigail Birgen:

Getting a muscled build that's still distinctly female is a bit of a task and I'm really not sure I'm there yet. (And no, I have no intention for her to be a big chested character - it doesn't fit with her being a lean powerhouse, and it's really not my kind of thing anyway).

However, I think I'm considerably closer to what she should look like than I've ever been before. (Even if that's a very long way from where she originally started as a character in a universe of my own creation).

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

You'll need to click on this one for the forum to show it at proper size, but here's an adjustment/continuation of the above:

Scars, necklaces and half complete legs. Sorta getting there.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

Blarg. Took me way too long to do these minor tweaks, between general procrastination, indecision and a couple of real-world matters.

(Again, click to enlarge)

However, this is fairly complete now - I'm reasonably happy with Silva's body type here, and I think the bionics are getting into sort of the right area (as opposed to the mix of cyberpunk and iFuture styling that was a hangover from her original designs*).

They're still a bit eclectic. That's sort of the plan, as their history starts as a somewhat urgent implantation, with any number of repairs, replacements, upgrades and modifications made over the intervening years... but that's not to say I'm convinced these are perfect.

Comment and critique are welcome here, I'd add!

* On which note, this is where she started in 2006. (Warning: Terrible art skills). There's been a lot of design stages in between, but it's a little hard to believe that they are (at least on some level) the same character.

GW's =I= articles

Van Helser

The bionics have the right amount of industrial brutality and style now. The foot puts me in mind of the Warhound Titan, which I like. You've got her physique right, far more realistic than the usual curvy warrior woman tropes.

Ruaridh

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Van Helser on October 11, 2014, 08:36:44 AMThe foot puts me in mind of the Warhound Titan, which I like.
Curses! I've been found out!

The Warhound was indeed one of the conceptual inspirations for the bionic leg - the shape of her shin plate is also supposed to be vaguely reminiscent of the Mars Pattern.
She's never had more than three toes since her conception (although her very earliest incarnations had only one), so beyond a bit of a reshape to make it humanoid rather than avian, it was pretty much what I was looking for anyway.

QuoteYou've got her physique right, far more realistic than the usual curvy warrior woman tropes.
I hope so.

It's not completely realistic* - more developed latissimi, trapezii and obliques would be truer to life, but too much bulk in the shoulders and upper torso tends to produce an overly masculine result. Also, she's only got a functioning lat and trap on one side, so it'd actually look kind of odd to do it completely realistically.

*Or, at least, typical. There are a few female weightlifters and body builders like this, and so I've used some artistic licence and aimed at the percentile I think will look best when it all has to be scaled down on to a miniature.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

This is a totally mixed update, but anyway...

~~~~~

This year was my first visit to Salute - after about fifteen and a half years as a wargamer (and being relatively close to London), so kind of slow. I got to catch up with a few people, meet a few new ones (Jes Goodwin, Andy Foster and Kev White, amongst others), pick up a few ideas and spend a little money. I'm kind of picky about how much models are worth, prefer individual characters to hordes of faceless goons and tend to make most of my own "conversion parts", so I didn't end up spending a bomb, but it wouldn't have been particularly proper to go to a big show and not buy anything.

Missing from this picture is a Malifaux "Vanessa" (as I was rather peeved to find on my return home that I would have to submit a mispack report) and the Agincourt archer that was the show model, but it's not a big pile either way.

- Two new sculpting tools, picked up from Heresy - Andy talked the versatility of the wire loops up quite a lot, and I'm happy to experiment with new tools, so I'll see where those go.

- Some Ground Zero Games 15mm Infantry - I'm not sure exactly which factions they're from, but GZG had a "free samples" tray, and so I opened myself to challenging my opinions of 15mm. Probably nothing to do with Inquisitor, unless someone wants to start INQ15, but thrown in anyway.

- Hasslefree's Hayden and Sedante - Sedante is clearly intended as a "not-Interrogator", and the short-of-stature Hayden seemed like an interesting buy, somewhat inspired by Quickdraw McGraw's antics as the ratling Doyle Grizbain in the forum Dark Heresy game. I'm not sure exactly what I'll do with Sedante, but I can already see Hayden ending up under the eyes of Interrogator Regin in a Carthax based INQ28 cell.

- Dark Age's Wail - I was poking through the Dark Age range in the Wayland stand, intrigued to see what a relatively cheap range of ~30mm metals was offering. I was caught slightly by surprise when I turned over a blister pack and found there were large monsters at only slightly higher prices than the normal humans. I scoured through and eventually ended up picking up Wail for just a smidge over £5. She's not quite 54mm sized, but she's close enough for this situation to be rectified or ignored.

~~~~~

I'm also shifting some focus off Leander. Much though I'd love to have her done by the IGT, I'm going to prioritise things I know I can get done or have to (like the actual organisation of the event!).
I hope to bring some completed parts to the IGT (loose plans are to have at least the Blastgun and a shin plate in order) for people to peruse, but I don't want to cut corners... and I'm just getting more ideas. (The massive Dropzone Commander dropship carrier at the Hawk Wargames stand on Saturday inspired a couple of thoughts).

So, now for something slightly different, a Razorback conversion for the Rhino:

This is based on the Forge World Razorback, which I could find more useful pictures of and which also seemed to not have to encroach into the interior cabin space (unlike the ammo feeds on the default model).

I'm probably going to build it a couple of different weapon options in the long run, but for the first load-out I'm thinking either TL heavy bolter or lascannon/TL plasma gun. The latter is probably the smarter move, as it's versatile for plot requirements but also less optimised for threatening player characters - still, the image of heavy bolters chewing up the scenery (and a few NPCs) is kind of cool in its own way.

GW's =I= articles

Radu Lykan

i think anything you arm it with will be scary but as you say, twinlinked heavybolters could mow down a whole retinue in a single turn. the las/plas variant would mostly just cook one guy? plus also allow for blasting through walls/doors and specific tasks that most retinues hopefully aren't usually equipped to deal with

MarcoSkoll

Yeah, I'm expecting "scary" from whatever weapons it gets; while a Razorback is fairly lightly armed as WH40K vehicles go, any of the common load-outs are quite a lot of firepower for Inquisitor.
I've considered getting inventive, as Razorbacks are canonically more experimented with than other designs (having only been rediscovered in M36, they don't have the same venerated status), but I think any vehicle weapon that serves for more than self-defence is going to be fairly nasty.

I had originally also considered the possibility of a Predator conversion for the Rhino (and built its side hatches in a way so that it could have slot in sponsons), but I'm not sure that'll now ever come to pass. In game, a Razorback poses a reasonable "scary tank" threat*, even if it were to be facing off against things like my (hopefully forthcoming) Sentinel, but is less over the top, comes with a transport capacity and is less strictly associated with the Astartes.

*Unless you're Leander, but I'm not sure a Predator would scare her much either. Besides, if I were writing a scenario that can scare a Warhound Titan, I've probably gone wrong somewhere.

Anyway, that sounds like some agreement regarding the LC+TLPG "Stronos" pattern, so that's where I'll start.

GW's =I= articles

greenstuff_gav

i'm in the opposite camp to Radu i'm afraid; i'd go for something like twin autocannon or heavy bolters; spray boolets everywhere so people are forced to dash between cover and has less chance to hit to make the game more engaging
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Lord Borak

MAcro, just like to say mate that I've been through this thread from start to finish. The Rhino is Epic and your sculpting is just awesome! The sister is great and the torso on that storm trooper makes me green with envy.

Keep up the good work!, Oh, and I might need to pick your brain on sculpting models from scratch.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: greenstuff_gav on May 01, 2015, 06:49:26 AMi'd go for something like twin autocannon or heavy bolters; spray boolets everywhere so people are forced to dash between cover and has less chance to hit to make the game more engaging
I can hobble hit chances quite effectively regardless of weapon; remote Razorback turrets are assisted/controlled by a targeting logis-engine, in order that a single crew member can be both driver and gunner.
So regardless of which character is driving, the Razorback can still have its own BS - and potentially extra penalties, such as difficulty tracking moving targets at short range or not being able to process firing solutions for both weapons at once (so the Las and Plas would have to be fired separately)

As compared to a heavy bolter, the plasma gun's damage is only slightly higher (5D6 Tearing and 3D10 Tearing(2) respectively in the RIA) - a hit from either is going to be pretty nasty, but the plasma gun is going to be throwing fewer shots (making its effect on the game a little less random - high rates of fire and low hit chances mean wild swings between no hits and multiple hits) and I can potentially have some level of overheating mechanic to limit it a bit further (as while vehicles will mount better cooling than infantry plasma weapons, the Stronos pattern load-out is canonically a little temperamental).

So I think the Plasma will probably be a little less scary versus characters than HBs, with the added bonus of the Lascannon being able to provide heavy firepower if the plot requires.

However, I admit that's all rather hypothetical thinking at this stage, as I haven't all that much experience with heavier vehicles in game, so I guess the first couple of times are going to be fairly experimental. Mind you, innovation and experimentation is what the IGT is all about, and I'll be grateful for a couple of test results with meaner vehicles before Leander eventually makes it to the table (hopefully sometime this year).

~~~~~

@ Lord Borak: Thanks! Do feel free to throw questions if you have any, I'm usually happy to rant on most subjects.

GW's =I= articles

Cortez

A lascannon would definitely have come in handy against that wraithguard :). Of course I'd used the rhino as a kamikaze missile before he arrived, although a Razorback would have been capable of damaging the wraithgate without resorting to jamming the throttle full on and bailing out.

I think you could come up with interesting scenarios for any of the weapon combos, but I think the classic lascannon, 2x plasmagun offers more potential for use in interesting ways by the players not just the GM.

DapperAnarchist

Leander vs. 54mm scale Defense Laser. There, now it's in your head, you know you have to build a scenario around that. Traitors trying to trigger the laser in time, Loyalists trying to stop them, Leander advancing to within the Power Field range...
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!