Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Dullmohawks WiP things and finished work

Started by Dullmohawk, March 07, 2010, 03:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dullmohawk

That might be the way to go. I do have quite a few bits and bobs lying about that might come in handy. I'm trying to come up with a way to incorporate books into it, which might be interesting.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/arcadiansmugglers/photos/album/906840101/pic/list  <--- Bits to trade? Check out my Arcadian Smuggler Album!

Dullmohawk

Hah, finished work on Reuter today, will post pics up tomorrow!

Meanwhile, a general call out to you all for a pair of Eisenhorn legs. I've postedon the arcadian smugglers forum as well, but you can contact me here as well if you happen to have a pair going to spare. I have a lot of bits to trade, so dont be shy!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/arcadiansmugglers/photos/album/906840101/pic/list  <--- Bits to trade? Check out my Arcadian Smuggler Album!

Inquisitor Dionzi

:( Lotsa broken pics, though I've been having internet problems recently, so it might be at my side ...
SKYFALL MINIATURES

Dullmohawk

Nah, my photobucket account got scrapped for some reason and I can't get the pics to my imgur, so they'll have to stay broken for now. The most recent pics should be good though.

Dullmohawk

Well, Reuters update will have to come later as the GS was less than sub-par in the light of day. But, what I did get done was the first model in what will be his arch nemesis' warband:

Again, the inspiration for the model came from the Carthaxian Inquisitor blog, his torso and legs being the same build as Ruaridhs Inquisitor. I added Eisenhorns sword arm and what I believe is Major Jaxons left arm without the pointy hand. The rest of the build sort of just happened from there. I've never really been that fond of the Josef skull-relic, but I think it fits quite nicely.

Van Helser

I am looking forward to seeing how this one progresses. Nice work on the head, and the box goes well here. I imagine he is displaying a relic to bow non-believers. I would be tempted to try and match up Jaxon's arm with Eisenhorn's with sculpting an extra sleeve (on second look, is there one there swept onto his back?).

Ruaridh

Dullmohawk

Yes, that is indeed an attempt to sculpt an extra sleeve onto the Jaxon arm. I might need to go over it again though. I think it would look better if the sides met with the torso further up, almost at the shoulder.

Alyster Wick

What's going on with the face? I can't tell if it's just a trick of the light but it looks to be totally blank but with a full head of hair. If that's the case I love it and look forward to seeing it painted. If not, I still love the pose and the overall feel of the model (and I'll just steal the face idea for myself).

Either way, I second the motion on the sleeve. Maybe it'll look all well and good as it once it's painted, but it's hard to tell from the angle right now.

Dullmohawk

I'm not really sure, but I haven't done anything except crop off the very sparse hair on his scalp. He does indeed look a bit blank, but I think it's just a trick of the light, working in tandem with the patches of undercoat I couldn't get off. I think I'll keep the face as is, so you're free to have a go at it yourself!

Lord Borak

Looking good mate. Can't help but think that he's chastising an acolyte for leaving a relic on the stars or something. Seriously though, JAxon's arm does need a bit of work to match up with the other one. I'd look at matching the cuffs up.

Dullmohawk

All suggestions duly noted!

I've been at work at the Inquisitor for the past few days, reworking the greenstuffed sleeve a few times. GS'ing really isn't my strongest side, but I'm happier with it now than before:

Mustering all the miniatures I've painted, I've decided to kickstart a small 4-game campaign, roughly modded over the 'Death of an Angel' Conspiracy. Ever since I became a father this christmas and especially with a new full-time job I'm finding that my enthusiasm for the hobby is dwindling together with the amount of time I get to spend on it.
I think it's sort of a bad match of too high expectations and too comprehensive gaming systems at play, and so I believe that skirmish action provided by Inquisitor will prove a better match to my lifestyle than my regular games of choice like 40k and WHFB.
I can spend more time on less characters, plus I get to work in the 54mm scale, which I've always loved. Mainly as my ham-fisted attempts at painting and sculpting seem less striking at this scale.

The main problem with the 54mm stuff is that you sort of need 54mm terrain to go with it. This has always intimidated me immensly, and has so far been one of the main reasons why I've never played more than a few games of Inquisitor since I started collecting and painting back in the early 00's.
I decided to say 'sod it' and just jump right into it anyway. So far I've planned two locations for the first games, an overgrown graveyard and an abandoned miner town like the example in the rulebook.
More about the locations later and let me show you what I've come up with so far...

Graveyard:

Minerstown:

All the terrain is made from cardboard and random scrap, bound together by various bits leftover from a few cities of death-sets I made some years ago. I just need two patches of tombstones and another building, and I should be good to go.
Still no paint, but we'll be getting there next monday I hope ::)

Radu Lykan

Reuter looks like he is using a gorgon head to turn someone to stone, I think weaponising the relic might be cool? Some sort of Saint/psyker a death stare?

Terrain looks fun especially the graveyard, things that go bump and all that

Alyster Wick

I've always wanted to do a graveyard, this reinforces the fact that I need to. The idea of having a roving gunfight with people dodging behind tombstones is just too good to pass up. What did you use as a base? The tombstones and base look to be foamcore (the kind of stuff used for HS presentations). I've got a mess of it myself, may have to try that.

Buildings look great as well. I need to get back to making some terrain...

As far as your mini goes, it's looking good! I think it may just be a better angle but I really like the unbuttoned overcoat sleeve. The cuff you did is pretty thick, but that's a good thing. You're fine leaving it as is, but if you wanted to try hacking and sanding away you could definitely do some work on it. I'd suggest this method, as scraping away (or strategically cutting) at green stuff is mandatory for sculpting. It's easy to get lost in the idea of everything needing to be sculpted perfectly on the front end but the truth is a lot of the heavy lifting gets done after it's all dry.

Quote from: Radu Lykan on June 04, 2015, 04:36:33 PM
Reuter looks like he is using a gorgon head to turn someone to stone, I think weaponising the relic might be cool? Some sort of Saint/psyker a death stare?

I second Radu's motion, a weaponized relic is awesome. Maybe some type of pariah skull that causes most ppl to take a pinning test and causes a psycher to take a psychic test w/ perils of the warp as a possibility? I don't know where that came from, throwing out ideas.

Dullmohawk

Thanks guys!
Originally the relic was thought to be just that, a relic. I like the idea of weaponizing it somehow, using the skull of a long dead saint as a conductor for either psychic or anti-psychic energy. Please keep the suggestions coming!

The base of the terrain is just plain, thin mdf board. The tombstones are indeed foamcore of different scale, cut to measure and then lined with masking tape to keep it from melting once I apply some paint to it. I really wanted a gunfight in a graveyard too, plus I have a huge ruined chapel lying about in the basement, which would be a very good centerpiece for the game. I envision something with a bit of sneaking and then a lot of blown up action to finish it off. I'll work it out over the weekend and hope to get the game in Saturday in the next.

Dullmohawk

I started work on what will probably be the last few figures needed for the game this week. I'm nearing the ned of my bits box, and only have very few parts left that would fit together in any way.
I wanted a new gunslinger, since the old Slick model I painted up years ago was just straight out of the box and fairly boring. So I started working on this guy:

He's pretty much just Slick with a new torso, but I did a lot of work on the legs, sliding off the pistol holsters at the bottom, sculpting them into pouches and rebuilding the thighs. I added two new pistols, but I still need to sculpt some sort of harness for them to hang from. Then I bent the arms and tried to make the model a bit more dynamic, like he's reaching for his pistols while turning around. I originally wanted them to go under his armpits, but the handcannons were simply too large for them to fit.
I still need to add some sort of facial hair and a scarf around the neck, plus some fingerless gloves of some sort.

Next up, using the last bits I had originally reserved for some IG characters, I started working on a Bounty Hunter. However the miniature sort of took control and pretty soon I was working on a couple of guys based on the characters I had used with a mate in some Dark Heresy sessions a long while back. One is a mutant, the other an ex-guard sergeant with a severe drug habit and some fairly heavy trauma-issues. Together they fight crime. Or do crime. We were never really sure.

Anyway, here they are, arguing over who's responsible for the latest screw-up. It seems to have something to do with tracking:

The mutant, Noph, is a pair of Talon legs, Slicks torso, Quovadius arms with the shotgun replaced by a lasgun with a tracker and a load of techincal bric-a-brac. The head is Damian Bloodhounds with the eyes drilled out and replaced with GS.

The ex-guard, Gideon Bann, is simply just Toothpick Murke with added height at the legs and torso, plus the left arm replaced with Quovadius'.

Anyways, the terrain will hopefully be undercoated tomorrow and then turned into something that could pass for a graveyard and an abandoned miners town.