Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Character no.3 - Markus

Started by dumdeedum, June 11, 2010, 12:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dumdeedum

Finally the employer of Maggit and Tregor takes shape in my mind, this is pretty much all I've thought of so far for him. He is meant to be mentally strong, but physically weak due to his soft life as a youngster. So he has only begun strength and weapon training recently and though a good leader, not a great one due to his inexperience.

Name: Markus
Notes: Right handed, Inquistorial acolyte, Quick and bright but not strong physically
Statline:
WS: 42 BS: 53 S: 46 T: 45 I: 64 Wp: 61 Sg: 70 Nv: 68 Ld: 66
Equipment: Light Bolt Pistol w. Standard Bolts, Chainsword
Armour: Carapace armour on chest and abdomen, AV1 on all other locations beside head
Abilities: Maggit's Friend

Light Bolt Pistol:
Type: Pistol   Range: E   Mode: Sg/Sm(2)   Acc: -   Dam: 3D10   Shots: 6   Reload: 3   Weight: 20

Maggit's Friend: Maggit's current employer, he has been kind to him and being noble born is someone Maggit aspires to be like and will do most anything for. So Markus can give him instructions and make use of Maggit's Singleminded rule.

Background/Details:

Born as the first son in a noble family of his homeworld and therefore in line to become the next head of the family.  So from a young age his parents groomed him to the best of moneys ability to be an intelligent and effective leader.

He is a relatively good looking young man with dark hair. Has no scars or deformities having lived quite a sheltered life and likes to appear polished with no hair out of place having had the importance of being presentable drilled into him during his tutoring as a youth.

Has a variety of clothes, mainly remnants from his days in the noble houses, but also new military-esque uniforms which he has subsequently acquired, but importantly all of them are expensive albeit sometimes impractical.

Being part of the noble houses, he wasn't expected to improve his physical attributes or learn any violent skills as these were for other men to do for them. So the first time he handled a weapon was upon his recruitment by Inquisitor Dordin. Dordin was of the view that leadership was one of the most important attributes of an inquisitor, so when recruiting he would take promising men and women from noble houses who had been groomed for such things from birth. He would then teach them other skills necessary to help them in their duties, such as weapon skills, but most importantly, information on the enemy.

Markus originally collected artwork from different planets, trying to get art from as many different planets as possible. After growing up among the nobility he acquired the strange thought that powerful people collect things, probably originating from a few eccentric and rich people in his family. Then upon entering the inquisition he changed from artwork to something more useful to his new profession, weaponry. So he now tries to collect at least one new weapon, preferably an odd one, from each planet he visits. Despite his change of collection, he still brings his art collection with him as he is quite proud of what he had achieved.

He was furnished with his equipment upon meeting the inquisitor as the bolt pistol and chainsword are known throughout the imperium as the attire of the officer, with strong leadership always being the top priority, looking the part is always important.

After a brief time with the Inquisitor, he was sent to a hive world to continue developing his skills and to see how resourceful he was. Here he was to develop a source of grunts to be used in the name of the Inquisition and to sniff out any form of heresy that was bound to be lurking somewhere in the depths of the hives. So he began his work and after a while he managed to cobble together a kind of fighter-for-hire business.

This is where he met both Maggit and Tregor, short of money they had been seeking employment when Markus discovered the possibility of a cult in the hive and with the confidence of the young and new to battle took himself, his bodyguard and 8 mercenaries including Maggit and Tregor to investigate. The resulting bloodbath left them defeated, with only Tregor, Maggit, himself and his bodyguard with their lives. Having been shot in the leg, Markus was carried to safety by his bodyguard while the other two provided covering fire and then escaping through the maze of alleyways thanks to Tregor's and Maggit's instinct for traversing the hive. He then recruited the two of them to make his second and third bodyguards, then came back with a vengeance using the full might of his fighter-for-hire business, finding the cultists new lair and leveling it.

After a while he grew to like the two hivers despite their simplicity, miles away from what he was used to among the noble houses. Gradually the fact that those below him in station were expendable became less of a fact for him and he learned that they could teach him things too.

Since his arrival on the hive world several years ago he had had no contact with Dordin and began to worry that something had happened to him. Then believing that finding the inquisitor was more important than waiting in the hive, he left with his 3 friends in search of any clues to what had happened to Dordin. Was he even still alive? Markus doesn't know but he is still searching and trying to carry out his duties as he goes.

Undecided on model yet, something fancy looking is all I can think of. Undecided on Tregor's model as well, I can't find anything I like anywhere, if anyone knows where I could get a hold of a 54mm army trooper-esque model, I would appreciate it.

Next up will be the 4th and final member, the bodyguard.

Shannow

I've read through this post a few times before being able to form a reply which I think is (in my opinion, not trying to be mean) because of an inherent flaw in the character, which is that he is very standard. Everything about him is ok but not exceptional in any manner, no particular talents to speak of, light bolt pistol a minor extravagance but not really in the scale of his abilities.

This makes me wonder why he was chosen to be an part of an inquisitor retinue? What spark did Dordin see in him that warranted investing precious time and energy? Obviously not everyone in the world of Inquisitor can be massively exceptional or anything but surely something must have made him stand out beyond that of his peers? Though he is from noble stock I don't see that as having a great sway in the inquisitions recruiting manner.

So I guess what I'm saying is, either give him something that shows his flair and potential OR give a brief exert in the background for what Dordin saw in him. Or both of course if you wish. But he is of course your character  and I am interested in seeing both how he develops and what model you use :)

Again, not meaning to be harsh or anything!

Rob
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

dumdeedum

No worries, I just really felt I needed to make a 3rd character, but I think I might just abandon this guy for now and have the employer as a similar kind of person as your Inquisitor Godfrey, an unmodelled character, at least until I come up with a decent story etc. which I agree with you isn't anything special

Definitly feel like I'm copying you though which i apologise for, I really liked the Cade and Dakeyras characters and idea (awesome books by the way, was quite proud that I could place all the names straight away, is that bad?)

James

Shannow

Hahaha I know what you mean with the copying feeling, seems like every idea I get is just borrowed from other people! Wouldn't worry about it too much and I know what you mean about feeling like having to make a character, I'm not particularly pleased with my Phineas character but I only designed him to fit my newest sculpt.

Glad you like Gemmell :D not bad in any way to place the names, my favourite author and a great source of inspiration for a lot of my characters both made and in the planning.

Where do you live btw? Doesn't happen to be close to bristol or the North west does it? Just because you said you were in the same boat as me with no interested friends.

Like I said its not that this characters bad, just needs a bit more beef :P Also thanks for all the feedback you've given on my post, most helpful!

Rob
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

dumdeedum

Unfortunatly I don't live in either of those places, I'm pretty much in London, or Bucks to be precise.

Upon looking through what remains of my models, I found the beelphegor(I think) model from andrea-miniatures which I've done a little fiddling with and may remake this guy to fit with the model. Problem is I'm lacking in everything but superglue so I won't be able to properly finish him until I get supplies which won't be for about a month (my birthday).

Might post pictures up later today to show what he should look like and see what people think.

James