Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Jax Lynn - possible new version

Started by MarcoSkoll, July 17, 2010, 05:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobSkib

Quote from: Flinty on August 20, 2010, 08:35:16 AM
I don't think I've seen (or quite possibly entirely forgotten) the skill description for 'Covering Fire' - how does it work?

We use a house rule for this - the standard 5% chance to hit (as the character is not trying to hit, only scare) with a pinning check required on the target with a -10 modifier for every shot fired that action. Keeps people's heads down, that's for sure :P
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Flinty on August 20, 2010, 08:35:16 AMInitially I was wondering if immortal/indestructible characters were game skewing in any way; is there really a scenario that would challenge such an individual?
Oh, she can most certainly be challenged. She's not invincible - she's an unarmoured T65 character. Yes, she gets a free recovery action each turn and downgrades some injury effects, but she's not Superman.

My experience is that my carapace armoured characters (and such characters don't normally raise a fuss here) often fare better than she does with her regeneration, as that tends to save them from about an injury level of damage a hit. While she can heal the more severe injuries she takes, it takes time, and that may well be time that can't be spared.

The immortality... well, it doesn't really make that much difference really. "Killing" her still puts her out of the game, and even my mortal characters will generally survive "dead" results anyway* - although in their case, they'll have been only mostly dead, as opposed to Jax's recovery from all dead.

*Heck, I've put a lot of work into these characters! They'll die when I'm ready for them to... theoretically, even Jax, although I have been entertaining myself with writing a story set in the 44th millennium where she's still alive at 2409 (and with over two thousand years of experience, practice and knowledge, she's a considerably more dangerous person by then.)

QuoteI don't think I've seen (or quite possibly entirely forgotten) the skill description for 'Covering Fire' - how does it work?
It's in the Space Marines article, but I have been considering something more along the lines of what RobSkib has suggested for a while now.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Jamas Orian

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on August 20, 2010, 08:21:31 AM
She isn't in the 60s for either WS or BS...  ???
Unless of course they've updated maths since I did my A-level and there's some kind of newfangled kind where 56 and 52 are in the 60s?

So she isn't  :o

Then yes, borderline competent is precisely what she should be described as. I'll blame her S and T scores and some chaos mindwarpery for convincing me that she was so (Or maybe being awake at 5am)

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Jamas Orian on August 20, 2010, 10:59:23 AMI'll blame her S and T scores and some chaos mindwarpery for convincing me that she was so (Or maybe being awake at 5am)
There's a difference between being awake at 5am and Chaos mindwarpery? :P

Yeah, her S & T are in the 60s, which is higher than I would normally make my female characters (there being one very heavily built and half bionic exception), but that comes from my experience with the older male version of the character.

Knowing how he played out survivability-wise, I didn't really want to make any big changes to that (other than the aforementioned "Hard Head" rule to make stunning less dominant), so she's kept most of the physical strength of her predecessor, in spite of having a leaner feminine build. As she's a mutant, it's not too hard to justify the modest increase involved.

GW's =I= articles

Jamas Orian

Very true.

I very much am a fan of Macro's warband, especially the level of detail and characterness that they have. Although I can't remember half of their names xD

MarcoSkoll

Well, you'd probably have to work to remember the names of some of them, as I've not posted the backgrounds for some of them. (Mostly because when I last started posting backgrounds, the threads got horribly derailed...)

Their names are hidden in amongst the rest of the backgrounds, but it's not that easy to just remember a name with no concepts or personality behind it.

GW's =I= articles

Jamas Orian

On the contrary; I would dearly love to see your complete collection of backgrounds and the like. :)

MarcoSkoll

For the sake of completeness, here is the coloured version of Jax.

A model will be forthcoming as and when I find the time to do some sculpting.

GW's =I= articles

Shannow

Superb drawing Marco, really fantastic with loads of stationary movement. I look forward to seeing your modelling skills brought to bear on her.

Rob
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Elva

I think I'm adding you to my deviant watch :)
"Nobody expects the Imperial Inquisition!!"

Jamas Orian

That's some pretty awesome colouring. I do wish that I had the equipment to be able to do that >.<

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Shannow on August 29, 2010, 02:36:22 AMSuperb drawing Marco, really fantastic with loads of stationary movement.
One of my better pieces, I think. Goes to show how working digitally can be quite convenient. (For those of you not paying attention, my lineart has only ever been done with "traditional" methods so far - pencil and paper. This was the first piece where everything has been done digitally.)

The undo function has its uses - as does the ability to completely separate away the sketchwork onto another image layer. My main problem is usually that I end up tweaking a line soooooo many times that I leave a permanent shadow on the page - or worse, damage the paper with too much erasing. Neither of which is a problem in Photoshop.
Drawing in one place and seeing it somewhere else does take a little getting used to though - and there just isn't the same "feedback" that you get from real world materials.

QuoteI look forward to seeing your modelling skills brought to bear on her.
Well, it's going to be a little while. As the deviantART comments say, I'm currently working on art for the Amalathian Sourcebook, which is going to be the primary use of my creative time.

I should note that I'm not necessarily planning to use the pose from the drawing for the model. Although it would be a good choice, I'm also considering the alternative of an "in motion" pose - mid stride, both stubbers raised (you know, the standard procedure for movie heroes) - and sort of a combination. Same kind of thing as in the drawing, but with the stubbers raised.

However, I'll need to think that one through.

Quote from: Jamas Orian on August 29, 2010, 02:42:30 AMI do wish that I had the equipment to be able to do that
What? A laptop with dying graphics (I still haven't sent it off to be fixed), a cheap graphics tablet (which was an impulse buy) and a stripped down version of Photoshop?

It's not so much the technology you have but the effort you're willing to put in. That said, it would probably take less time and effort with better equipment - but I'm not really making enough use of the stuff I have got to really be able to justify an upgrade.
Although, as the tablet is occasionally having connection problems (I think the cable may be damaged), I may have to get a replacement soon anyway...

GW's =I= articles

Elva

I tweak a bit too much too, and it gets annoying when that shadow appears. That's why I go over my 2h lines with a 4b pencil, so it darkens the lines I want to keep without the danger factor of a pen. However it tends to smudge and dull rather quickly, so its not as much of a godsend as a tablet.

Oh and a good program to look into is Paint Tool SAI, I can confidently say all the praise is well earned. Now I feel like doing some digital art :P

I'm also starting to think we should get an Inquisitor art thread started.

And I love the colours, great choices. Your faces are also much better than mine, not to mention the technical details such as the guns and fabrics. I look forward to more.
"Nobody expects the Imperial Inquisition!!"

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Elva on August 29, 2010, 06:11:52 AMI'm also starting to think we should get an Inquisitor art thread started.
We had that discussion a while ago. To sum it up, it was decided that while it was valid to have art if there was some other reason (as part of a character thread, modelling project, RP, etc...), general posting of art was really the realm of Ordo Illuminatus.

GW's =I= articles

Jamas Orian

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on August 29, 2010, 05:44:06 AM
Quote from: Jamas Orian on August 29, 2010, 02:42:30 AMI do wish that I had the equipment to be able to do that
What? A laptop with dying graphics (I still haven't sent it off to be fixed), a cheap graphics tablet (which was an impulse buy) and a stripped down version of Photoshop?

It's not so much the technology you have but the effort you're willing to put in. That said, it would probably take less time and effort with better equipment - but I'm not really making enough use of the stuff I have got to really be able to justify an upgrade.
Although, as the tablet is occasionally having connection problems (I think the cable may be damaged), I may have to get a replacement soon anyway...

If there is one thing that I am utterly useless at it is colouring.

Most of my artwork I do using 10p bic biros.

Which reminds me, I have a couple of drawings that I do need to scan.