Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

A Few more questions...

Started by Alta, August 13, 2010, 10:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamas Orian

As I was aware, regiments that are massively under strength are usually absorbed into others.

Flinty

Agreed, I have read a couple of sources where understrength units are combined into a retitled regiment.

I think there is probably little if any chance of a vetran being shipped home. Most, if not all, IG units are posted away from thier home planet due to Imperial paranoia about uprisings and revolts (and the fact troops will be more happy to slaughter foreginers rather than thier own). Spending cash, never mind the logistics, to send individuals across segments, possibly even across the galaxy in some cases is never going to happen.

I imagine that on discharge, vetrans are maybe given a small cash bounty or something like a chit redemmable for a plot of land on the nearest colony world and left to thier own devices. I expect they may get preferential advancement in the local civilian law enforcement or in the PDF as senior NCO's in the garrison quartermaster or training contingents. Some may find employment as bodyguards or in security on either side of the law, with a very few selected for work with the Inquisition.

I see no problem with officers being recruited from the most able - the Imperium is a meritocracy - the best man for the job and those with responsibility carry the threat of the ultimate penalty if it ends up fubar.

As for volunteers, there must be a few, but I imagine they may get a rough ride from thier fellow forced conscripts...
Neanderthal and Proud!

Swarbie

Quote from: Flinty on August 26, 2010, 08:40:28 AM
As for volunteers, there must be a few, but I imagine they may get a rough ride from thier fellow forced conscripts...

Recruitment officer: Yes sir, the Imperial Guard will give you - for FREE - the most destructive man-portable laser weaponry in the Imperium, the most cost-effective body armor in the galaxy and the training to hold your position against a charging carnifex. Sign here, sir . . . 

Conscripts: IDIOT!
And I saw her body burning,
With it, my world
To dust returning

Morcus

The Imperium is as far from a Meritocracy as you can get.

The Imperial guard relies almost entirely on its command structures and disiplin so I'd imagine most officers would have started training long before they'd be elligible for conscription, Its also beneficial if yor officers aren't too Cosy with your grunts to maintain the distinction between the two groups. There are a lot of references in fluff and stories to Officers being drawn from the Nobility of planets.

There are alot of referenses to IG members getting home after they've completed their time. It would depend on how far they were and how many men there were to go home but I would think it would happen.

You normally get people who choose to join predominantly conscripted armed forces when they'd normally be exempt, how they'd be treat I imagine would be based on the Regiment as a wholes view on the worthiness of what they were doing.

Alta

Hmm... I think I'll finish writing up his background fluff then you can decide whether they fit the fluff...

One more question though... On transport ships (any kind) would the conventional method of transport be suspended animation? Or would the warp travel be quick enough to not need the suspended animation?
...Few things in life make sense and unfortunately for you I am not one of them...

Shannow

Suspended animation? Y'know Bob, I'm really not into bondage...

In all the fluff I've read I've never heard reference to it being required during warp travel, so I'd guess not. Not to say you can't include it, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to come up with a scenario where its required.

Rob
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

DapperAnarchist

I've not heard of it either, but for the 'human cargo' of the Guard, or mass transit vessels carrying pilgrims and colonists, why not? I know one story mentions that Penal Legion troops are drugged extensively in transit, and run a risk of amnesia.

Shannow, you are a very dirty boy.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Morcus

Eversor assasins are Kept in Stasis so that they regard all thier missions as happening in a continuous kill Frenzy, And I'm sure I've read of people smuggling them selves by bring sealed in Stasis in a Container that can with stand a vacuum and loaded as Cargo.

Koval

Quote from: Morcus on August 27, 2010, 12:50:16 AM
Eversor assasins are Kept in Stasis so that they regard all thier missions as happening in a continuous kill Frenzy
Non sequitur. Eversor Assassins are just kept that way anyway.

Morcus

I know that, the point is that its very possible.

Koval

Not the point -- suspended animation while in the Warp just generally doesn't happen on a greater scale. For a start, people still need to operate the ship, and they can't very well do that when they're in sus-an.

Morcus

I fully undertand that and thought it was heavilly enough implied in my post before my last one, I was merely sugesting that it was one method for Passengers to travel through space. The original question was with regards to people being Transported which wouldn't include Crew though I seriously doubt it would be the main method of transporting people because I would seem like alot of work for little reward is done on a large scale.

I can't actually recall any infomation either way regarding the mass transit of IG, I've seen references on transport of small numbers of troops and of marines and such, all of which trained on the journey.

Alta

Ok, I've finished his background. If possible, please could you check through his fluff and see if it is valid?

Here is the thread: http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1019.0

...Few things in life make sense and unfortunately for you I am not one of them...

Flinty

I think the Lexicanum (?) mentions that Guard Regiments often use the time in transport to the theatre for training and/or mission familairisation.

I assume that means they must be travelling on some of the larger Naval transport vessels, but presumably, more local (intersystem, adjacent sectors?) travel by single regiments or smaller units could be done by comandeered or chartered merchant vessel, some of which may have hold space for training, but others maybe just accomodation and mess deck...bit like the opening of Aliens, without the sus am (oooh, stupid abbreviation) pods.
Neanderthal and Proud!

Alta

A few more fluff questions:

What would the life of a conscript be like before he is actually enrolled into the guard?

What does pilot training (e.g Thunderbolts, Lightnings, Valkyries) usually involve?
Also, what would the pilots normally be fighting?

Are female Lord Inquisitors known as Lady Inquisitors?

What is the Conclave? (not this site, I'm referring to the one mentioned in Xenology)