Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Another Space Marine Scout Appears!

Started by Van Helser, July 13, 2010, 02:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Van Helser

After Kierkegaard let us see his rather excellent Scout and mentioned that he'd like to see the one I've been hiding from the light of day for a long time, I've finally got round to taking some pictures of him to share.

Before we get there though, I'd best give a little bit of history.  I started this model last summer as a test of my sculpting abilities and as a potential Dark Magenta article on the pitfalls of sculpting from scratch.  As a self-taught sculptor Derek (Saussure) and I thought it might be an idea to share the wisdom I'd accrued the hard way.  Needless to say I never got round to starting it, as I still haven't finished the model.  One day perhaps...

The character represented by the model was going to be a Celestial Lion, out for revenge on the Inquisitors that ordered the destruction of his Chapter on Armageddon.  I reckoned a shotgun would be the most likely weapon a lone Scout could keep working, so armed him with a beefy one modelled on the current 40k models.  I gave him a mohawk and headband that harked back to the original Space Crusade Scout models.  I have never been happy with the head though, so if I do get round to finishing him off, he's getting decapitated first. 

Another thing I'm keen to sort is the lean he's developed.  I think it looks far worse than it is because of the angle on the rear of his armour, so by cutting that down and straightening up the shoulder pads it shouldn't be too hard.  A new head will help too. 

Scale-wise, he's maybe a bit too bulky across the chest, but who's to say that the Celestial Lions weren't a bit beefier than their fellow Astartes? 

Anyhow, pictures:

Please let me know what you think

Ruaridh

KaHellun

real badass

But the head is staring at the sky.

Shannow

I agree with badass-ness but the top f the head looks a little flat and could definitely do with being repositioned. Beefyness goooooood tho:D

Rob
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Myriad

Space marines are meant to be bulky even in scout armour (I reckon).  Looking good.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

RobSkib

Ace! I love it! Just wondering, do you have a Talon head lying about? I reckon that would make a decent scout head, but I dont know about proportions...
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

precinctomega

Should have used wire to do the grille on the backpack.

Otherwise, cracking job.

R.

Van Helser

Cheers all.

I think a Talon head would be about the right size... but I'm determined that this will be 100% scratch built.  Definitely needs a new head though - the stargazing is the least of his problems!

May still have a go at redoing the grill on the back too.  Wire's an interesting suggestion Robey - certainly one I hadn't thought of.  A coil in there would be a simple solution...

Ruaridh

kierkegaard

It looks good to me!

I don't think that either of us got it quite right (mine looks a bit tall and narrow, yours looks a bit short and wide) but you definitely win for sculpting yours from scratch. The decorations in particular look fantastic, but it is an all round good job.

If you aren't happy with the head, just keep trying, as you will probably get one that you are happy with sooner or later (I never have though::))

kierkegaard

Sorry for the double post, but I just want to know you have made any progress on this model. I am really looking forward to seeing it finished.

Van Helser

Unfortunately not - too busy with work and all my evenings have been spent writing for the last few weeks. Might possibly have some time in a couple of weeks to get down to it though...

Ruaridh

gwrulz

I always thought that a space marine scout's shotgun should be more powerful than a human shot gun... BLAM!

Something to do with the barrel looking like a 50mm opening compared to a guardsmen's 20mm opening.  IMO
Looking a Space Marine Helmet? I may have one!