Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy - underhive WIPs

Started by seaglen, January 14, 2014, 08:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mentirius

Another juicy paintjob on the scum; I especially like the scales on his left arm.  This guy is about as "underhive" as it gets without wearing someone/thing else's skin!

The daemonhost is nicely creepy, especially the growths on his back, and I think I prefer his menacing drift forward to the original Cherubael back-arching.  I'm looking forward to Damien's electro-flails painted as fleshy tentacles. 

One minor daemonhost niggle - his "loincloth" seems to be at a strange angle to the rest of him.  If it's just parchment then shouldn't it be pressed back against his legs by the direction of his drift?

seaglen

Many thanks for the feedback guys!

@Mentirus - I see what you mean about the loincloth now, good spot - it’s a little late to alter it though, I’ll just have to accept the fact it’s kind of billowing the wrong way. Empryan winds and all that...

I’ve added some colour to him now, and am liking the palette, but may go back and tidy it up a bit, as he’s rather blotchy. Not sure if this helps give him a mottled look, or just looks roughly painted...?

Any thoughts on how to neaten him up?
Maybe back to a highlight of normal flesh tone again?

Mentirius

You could maybe freehand a relatively crisp tattoo or two on some of his exposed skin, to contrast with the unhealthy/mottled tone of the skin itself?  That'd probably make it pretty clear the state of his corrupted flesh is intentional.

seaglen

Yes that's a pretty good idea - I've tried to get the skin less blotchy this afternoon, and may add some chaotic tattoos too...

mcjomar

Looking very nice and ominous.
I do agree with the idea of tattoos for this chap.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

maglash1017

Looking good! I think the skin might benefit from some spots, maybe stippling a brown, purple and red wash/thinned down paint?

seaglen

Thanks for the advice and encouragement - I've added a bit more detail to the skin, and a few washes.
Still need to add some tattoos.
I've also detailed some of the sculpting/clipper errors with some metallic blue.
It ties in with the inquisitor who owns him (big shiny blue sword).
I almost imagine them to be fragments of the same psychically charged material the sword is made of.

mcjomar

He's looking better (for a given value of better).
I think those tattoos will finish him up nicely.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

seaglen

Thanks!
I've now updated the tentacles a little, as there was a little too much purple without much bright colours to pop.
Here's the update, sans tattoos:

seaglen

Whilst finishing off other bits and pieces for other threads, I popped this together from a few old bits and a head from a historic doctor figure:

cymrilian

mcjomar

Oh, very nice.
He looks suitably grisly.
Always nice to see a chainaxe (on a mini, anyway  ;)).

Mentirius

Aha, a surprise bonus model!  Great work once again...I'm also a fan of that brutal-looking chain-axe on such a hunched and scrawny fellow.  I think some of the best conversions grow out of random leftover parts combinations.

seaglen

Yeah he was just made out of leftover bits, so am happy to add him to the band of hive scum :)
After a week of work, I should have some time this weekend to crack on with other models too!

seaglen

Quote from: seaglen on January 21, 2021, 12:51:51 PM
Mcjomar - Definitely will go for Word Bearers inspired methinks! great shout.

And in true double-back fashion (I am Alpharius), after saying I’d stick with word bearers for my chaos cult leader, I went the other way entirely and chose a different undivided legion as a base.

Having still quite a lot of the old ‘glistening green’ citadel paint left, and some blue glaze, I suddenly realised he’d look perfect as an alpha legion cult operative!!

I’ve always wanted to try the shimmering blue/green, and the alpha legion ties in perfectly with an influential cult uprising - “for the emperor…”

Thoughts and feedback welcome!
(Just the first base colours and a few inks and highlights done)

I’m also going for a bone sword effect in the end. I know it could be a waste of all those lovely face details, but the bright daemonic glowing sword just doesn’t seem to fit. I’ll definitely add in some details though!