Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Chronicles of the Carthaxian Conclave - Discussion

Started by Kaled, November 17, 2009, 05:49:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

You must have been working hard to read all that less than half an hour after I posted it.

Yeah, I deliberately wrote Willie's explosion to be vague and open ended (because of course, he didn't actually die*). Not that Marco would doubt that's what Silva thought she had seen, but it does sound far fetched. (The fact that what she recalls actually was pretty much was the sequence of events in game is irrelevant.) Besides, who would I be to say whether or not someone could survive such an explosion? Silva's own background includes her surviving an improvised explosive - although it literally cost her an arm and a leg.
*He's only mostly dead.

Also, I wanted to leave a certain amount of doubt in Marco's mind - reasons why he might suspect that the figure he had run into wasn't actually Zophar/Sarthuul. Sometimes some mystery, confusion and general uncertainty is a good thing.

Anyway, thanks - nice to know that people enjoyed reading it, because I certainly enjoyed writing it. I'd quite like to get back to writing Marco more often, but as far as RPing, he's still tied up in "After Hours", which is unfortunately still on hiatus (as far as a timeline, I'm canonically taking the events of After Hours to preceed the Tigguo Cobauc election).
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Brother_Brimstone

Recently, in order to survive the loathsome 10 hours of revision a day I'm putting myself through, I've been thinking of war bands or characters I can make once I've put the nightmare of exams behind me. On top of this I've also gone on what might be described as a 'spending spree' as far as models are concerned. The result of this is that i now have a new model I intend to use as an Inquisitor and a lot of pent-up energy fuelling his back story.

I decided i wanted hi m to be quite different to anything I'd seen and so decided to create a super-secret society for Inquisitors. I decided it would dispatch one member to each sector of the Imperium to do its bidding. I also decided I wanted the society to be sufficiently shadowy that the motivation of my Operative is unknown and that his actions are still fairly shrouded in mystery.

I know that the Inquisition itself is more or less a secret society, but as per the Illuminati, I don't see why there can't be secret organisations within secret organisations. The Organisation could be real or it could be a hoax, only the Operative will know that; observe how many lines there are inside the winged O.... Similar, perhaps to a certain star shaped symbol?

I wanted it to be very open ended and ambiguous, once exams are out of the way i intend to write an entry about it in the 'Dark Millenium' section of the forum, but until then, i decided to upload a bit of a teaser, and also set the scene for my inquisitor's entrance to the sector.

Any ideas, comment, criticisms etc... about The Organisation are welcome and appreciated, as i say, once i get sufficient time, I WILL expand on their backstory more as well as the backstory of my Inquisitor himself (although expect it to still be very open-ended, mysterious and ambiguous, as that's how I want it to be).

MarcoSkoll

Rumours that my most recent post is offering clues as to the nature or background of my IGT scenario(s) are absolutely true.

GW's =I= articles

Easy E

I'm not sure about the IGT Marco, but this line was priceless...

PDF desertions are at level Beta X, despite unprecedented dwindling of the Commissariat's ammunition stores.

^Cheapskate^

RobSkib

What are everyone's thoughts on sector-wide events that have the potential to make their presence felt in everyone's games? This might be a crazy idea that not everyone will like, but might get enough support so it can start being implemented for those who want to take part.

For example, every so often (week, month etc) myself or others will put up a massive 'live' event, that fellow Inquisitors can take into the next game that they play, tying everyone's storylines a little closer together but without inhibiting on the personal freedoms that Inquisitor is famous for.

One idea would be Astropaths across the sector have been falling ill, claiming a vast warp disturbance is washing over planets at a frightening speed. It appears to be a colossal psychic scream, emminating from an unknown origin on the eastern fringe of the sector. With the correct equipment, it can be traced back to the source for further investigation, but what happens when it hits... not even the Astropaths know.

In the next game that you play, the GM rolls 2D6 before the game starts - that is the turn the Psynami (heh) arrives. Each character must make a Wp test at -20 or be knocked down and stunned for D3 turns. Any further effects are down to the GM's discretion.

I can think of quite a few other ideas as well, perhaps the ammunition available on your planet is substandard, and projectile weapons start off with -D6 ammunition in every magazine, or the passing of a nearby solar flare in your particular region cause all forcefields to double any odds rolled, or half every evens rolled, or massive pulses of warp energy bubbling out a crack in the material realm give any Chaos-aligned characters +10 to strength and toughness, but -10 to Wp and Sg.

Loads of interesting things could be done with large-scale events, but it's up to individuals to decide whether to take part or not. If I started an event (one that could run for a few weeks/month or two, say, to give people time to have a game) how many people would join in? If it's enough, I'll write something up for the Carthaxian thread.
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

MarcoSkoll

It sounds interesting. Almost like the story updates they did for the 40k/Fantasy summer campaigns where special effects would apply for a few days or a week (I remember that the Dark Shadows campaign had the Winds of Magic Rules where different lores waxed and waned in strength) before something else happened for the next week.

I'd love to get involved and would if games presented themselves, but unfortunately, it seems I get to play fewer and fewer games outside of Conclave events any more.

However, you said things there that give me ideas to weave into what I'm already doing for the Autumn Conclave. Like I said somewhere else, I'm planning on things happening around what the players are doing, and these events might introduce different effects to the next round of games.

We'll see how complicated I'm prepared to make things.

GW's =I= articles

Necris

Just a quick note there was a major psychic event prior to the election campaign of Lord Calleia in which many inquisitors were slain in a mass assassination and a world lost, which led into a crusade through out the Nexus Belt Worlds being led by the Inquisition Imperial Guard and Space Marines (I really should put a field report of that up at some point)
This here is my very favourite gun...I call her rita.

The Order of the Iron Rose - Necris' Inq28 Plog

Inquisitor Octavian Lars

QuoteOne idea would be Astropaths across the sector have been falling ill, claiming a vast warp disturbance is washing over planets at a frightening speed. It appears to be a colossal psychic scream, emminating from an unknown origin on the eastern fringe of the sector. With the correct equipment, it can be traced back to the source for further investigation, but what happens when it hits... not even the Astropaths know.
My sector! + tyranid assault = nothing to fear for your sector's continued, but it does for mine.
Velterax III
All my wargaming under one address
http://velterax3chronicles.blogspot.com/

http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1566.0
Insertion Zone. Also on the Velterax III Chronicles.

Always looking for comments

Kaled

I like the idea - when I came up with the idea of the Carthaxian Conclave, the idea was that events that affected the entire sector would be played out at events such as the Summer Conclave, however this sort of campaign seems like another good way to do it - as long as there are enough people (even 8-10 would do) who will be able to join in to make it really seem like it's affecting the entire sector and not just a few isolated incidents.

Also, I see there have been quite a number of posts in the thread recently (not that that's a bad thing!) - but the thread is meant to introduce characters/scenarios that they intend to use/play at Conclave events, and to be a summary of games that people have played (rather than pure background or in character posts).  That may well be the case with the recent posts, but they refer to things that aren't familiar to me (and I hope I'm not the only one) - therefore it would be good if when people do post things, if they could also post in this thread with a short OOC description of what they're posting.

For example, say that it's a summary of your character's activities at the IGT or a character you intend to bring to the Summer Conclave.  Also, if your post relates to a game you've played then why not post a battle report in a separate thread and hyperlink to it - or you can hyperlink to an IC post or one in the rules sub-forum if it's a post about your character.  The more links there are to information elsewhere on the 'Clave (or on your own site), the more it ties all our characters together into a chronicle of events in the sector - and that's what the thread is all about.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Necris

One of the main reasons for me not posting anything about the Nexus Belt Crusade as it evolved into a 40K campaign that I ran (am still running) last year.

I'll do a post about it at some point (maybe tonight)

This here is my very favourite gun...I call her rita.

The Order of the Iron Rose - Necris' Inq28 Plog

RobSkib

Alrighty then, time to get the ball rolling!

This will coincide quite nicely with the end of my university year - having free time again, as well as a nice 30 second animation to illustrate the story a little bit. I'm going to try and do a short piece every time I do a Carthaxian Sector Event, to give it a little more gravitas, as well as keeping my hand in. Don't want to go all summer again without picking up the drawing tablet!

I've got a couple of ideas where I'm going to take this and I'm just refining them at the moment. Expect an update in the next few days, with a few scenario ideas and some special rules for those looking to join the fight against the darkness...

...Don't forget to pack your torch...
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Macabre

Just a little fun for those who want to journey beyond Imperial rule in their campaigns in the Carthax sector to a region of space where Inquisitorial authority means less than nothing.

This isn't an exhaustable list by any means, indeed I'd like to encourage people to PM me world suggestions that I can add to the map.

Let me know what you think.
++Believe the lie. Trust no one++

Shannow

That is fantastic! That sort of thing really helps me when I'm coming up for character background a well as any campaign use. Good times :)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

DapperAnarchist

I've posted a link to my Keltani Subsector site - apparently, I hadn't added it yet.

Might PM you some ideas Macabre...
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Macabre

Hinnom, submitted by DapperAnarchist, added to the Wilderwest map.
++Believe the lie. Trust no one++