Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Marco does something

Started by MarcoSkoll, November 18, 2009, 12:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: precinctomega on February 19, 2011, 09:41:35 PMI love AR Fix.  Can we get a scale shot?
... Ugh, the dreaded scale shot. I've got so few actual GW Inquisitor models in one piece any more, and using my sculpts for scale doesn't much help.

Whelp, an Eldar Ranger I've just put back together after stripping it of an awful old paintjob, and a Slick/Stone conversion that's been sitting around in the blu-tac stages for about... ooh, three years.

The Sgt's base is shimmed with 1mm plasticard not to make up model height, but base height (it's one of the thinner bases from Heresy).

~~~~~

Also, no, the gun is not called Kate or Bob.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

RobSkib

An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

kierkegaard

Adlan

Quote from: kierkegaard on February 20, 2011, 06:30:04 PM
Quote from: MarcoSkoll on February 19, 2011, 10:48:28 PM
Also, no, the gun is not called Kate or Bob.
Quote from: RobSkib on February 20, 2011, 12:02:41 PM
Vera? ;)

WTF?  ???
My issue L85A2 is Vera.

Browncoats Rise Again!
Firefly reference. A brilliant sci-fi western series

MarcoSkoll

Vera* is the woman with the four letter name who owns it. And no, aside from me deciding I wanted her to have "the best damn gun made by man", and being named for it, she has no particular resemblance to any Joss Whedon character.

*And her surname is "Canton", for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

Well today, I decided that I'd been dawdling a bit on the Rhino because I was a bit tired of the fiddly work, so I gave myself another project to split the time between.

It's not much, but here's what little I've managed since this morning. The start of some Sentinel legs (thus far devoid of fine detailing), and the basic shape of the autocannon it will eventually mount (although it will also eventually have the option for Power lifter arms).

Now, I've also realised that I've got too many ideas and not enough action. And I like building things, so that is bad.
So, after whichever of the Sentinel or Rhino gets done first, there'll be a Land Speeder Storm. Thanks to a suggestion from Stormgrad in a Skype conversation a while back, the plan is for that to be crewed by servitors (rather than Astartes Scouts), which should make it a possible resource for most human warbands.

Still, I'll be away from my big workbench for the tail end of this week, so updates after tomorrow and until Sunday will be themed towards whatever I can fit in my luggage (either NPC guard, or perhaps some of the non-IGT models in my sculpting run).

GW's =I= articles

phil-o-mat

the idea of using wood is exellent! never seen that before (exept on several scenery projects). i will steal that idea!

can`t wait to see the sentinel finished!

precinctomega

Excellent start on the Sentinel!

QuoteMy issue L85A2 is Vera.

Oh, for heaven's sake...  Adlan, you should be ashamed of yourself.  Americans name their rifles.

R.

RobSkib

Dear oh dear. I can't work out whether you need to get out more (to give you something to do with all your spare time) or get out LESS (so you can finish all these awesome projects) :)

I guess I better start putting together some lascannon cultists then!
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

MarcoSkoll

Well, now at my destination, I realise that I have failed to bring all the plastic bitz I carefully dug through my bitz box for, so the NPC guard are going to have to wait for some of their webbing and equipment.

Fortunately though, I managed to remember my modelling pencil case, as well as finding some space in my luggage for some plasticard and tubing (both styrene and brass), so all is not lost.

Quote from: RobSkib on February 22, 2011, 12:36:16 PMI can't work out whether you need to get out more or get out LESS
Some people have suggested I try and find a girlfriend, but I personally think that having to put up with me would be highly cruel on the poor thing...

QuoteI guess I better start putting together some lascannon cultists then!
You might need to. If I build even half of the things I've got ideas for, then I'll be running quite a few vehicle based scenarios at future Conclave events...

Quote from: phil-o-mat on February 21, 2011, 11:41:44 PMthe idea of using wood is excellent!
Dowelling is very useful - cheap, easily worked, available in a wide range of diameters and unlike plastic pipe, solid the whole way through (so it's much easier to mount things to the ends).
You can also see a couple of little wooden balls for the ankles (although rather smaller than the one in the picture a few pages back). Also useful, pretty cheap in the small sizes, and much easier than trying to find extruded polystyrene balls (all most searches find is the expanded "styrofoam" version).

Two words of warning on wood though:
- Watch for grain patterns if they're going to show up in bad places. Me, I'm sanding the wooden bits as I go.
- It does splinter and crack if you work the wrong way to the grain.  I had to do some repairs to one of the ankle joints when I was drilling it (which was so I could join it solidly enough to the leg - it does need to be a strong joint).

GW's =I= articles

Adlan

Oh, for heaven's sake...  Adlan, you should be ashamed of yourself.  Americans name their rifles.

R.

Not my fault. It was a direct order.

DapperAnarchist

What you need, Marco, is a Nerd Girl.

That, or 48 hours in every day to do everything.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

precinctomega

Then your skill-at-arms instructor needs to get out more and stop spending his evenings watching Full Metal Jacket.

I shall now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

R.

MarcoSkoll

Not a very informative update, but the first video update to this thread nonetheless. Timelapse of sculpting one of the heads for my IGT warband: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAy6jmGglao

(It turns out I forgot to lock the shutter speed, so that's why the lighting appears to be flickering.)

I've not quite got the hang of sculpting female heads yet, so I take a lot longer for quite an androgynous face. But you don't learn if you don't try...

GW's =I= articles

kierkegaard

I would have liked a shot of the finished product...