Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Marco does something

Started by MarcoSkoll, November 18, 2009, 12:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

Oops - mind like a sieve, me.
You don't get to see everything (that's for the DM article, remember?) but I'm not such a horrible tease as Aurelius, so here's a picture at a very unflattering size :

I'm going to hurriedly point out that this is still WIP, with only one stage so far. I prefer to do it mostly in one, but it's still going to get a little more work to sharpen it up and fix a couple of oddities.

~~~~~

In other news, I've finally ordered myself a butane soldering iron - that part's perhaps not so interesting, but it comes with a hot knife attachment, which should make some of the vehicle building less of a total dog.
I've found a lot of the cuts where I'm trying to cut a hole through a panel (for example, the Rhino side doors) are a right nightmare, because you can't score it and break it nor just try to cut all the way through, because the card can't move so the knife can go through.

A hot knife should make those cuts a tiny fraction of the effort. And as an added bonus, the kit's also got a hot air blower, which should make bending plastic tube easier too.

When it arrives - hopefully tomorrow, my recollection is that Rapid Electronics live up to their name, even when it's their free delivery service - and I've had a chance to try it, I'll report back and tell you if I think it's worth having in a modelling kit.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Heroka Vendile

excellent sculpting there Marco  :)
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Alyster Wick

Great sculpting job.  Even before it's completed I'll go ahead and say I think it's the best looking one I've seen you do (all of them being superior to the blobs I've attempted).  I checked out that time lapse you had, really drove home the time and care it takes to produce something at that level.  Looking forward to seeing it complete, are you willing to reveal what it will eventually be or is that a closely guarded IGT secret?

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Alyster Wick on March 01, 2011, 09:59:55 PMall of them being superior to the blobs I've attempted
I hear a lot of people talking about ending up with mutant blobs. As I've said before (and likely in this thread too), it's not as big a challenge as it really seems.

Most veteran modellers have the technical skill (and most of the tools) required, their problem is that most people's perceptions run on subconscious recognition of the face, not an actual understanding of what a face looks like. Anyway, I've already had an extensive "five in the morning wiffle"* on the matter of skull shape and facial anatomy here, so I won't repeat it here.
*I get wordy when I'm tired.

QuoteI checked out that time lapse you had, really drove home the time and care it takes to produce something at that level.
It takes some care, but the time is more because I'm not perfect technically - I usually can't get it quite how I want it until I've taken several attempts at each individual detail.

QuoteLooking forward to seeing it complete, are you willing to reveal what it will eventually be or is that a closely guarded IGT secret?
I'm keeping most of the specifics of what I'm doing for the IGT under wraps.

It's probably obvious that the NPCs and vehicles may be used in some way (depending on the table and players I get), but beyond that and the back-story given in Inquisitor Ares' message, all I'll saying is that my general theme for this IGT is "Unexpected, yet familiar".

GW's =I= articles

kierkegaard

Awe inspiring work there Marco. One of the best self sculpted faces I have seen.

MarcoSkoll

In the absence of recent updates, some of the NPC guard prior to putty work.

(In case you think the models look out of scale with each other, that's actually two photos rather crudely stitched together.)

The left hand model has one of the Bren guns modified with some 28mm flamer parts. I know it wouldn't be very advisable to hold a flamethrower like that in reality, but it's a one piece moulding and every repose is an extra chance to check my fingers still have proper circulation (the most recent test says yes).
His helmet has been cut back so it's not in the way of sculpting a new Cadian pattern one over the top.

And the right hand model was the radio operator, now demoted particularly messily to loader/spotter for the squad's heavy stubber (the other Bren gun that came in the box).
The messiness is mostly because I had to cut away two heavily integrated parts - the radio and entire right arm. Most of this was all to be sculpted over anyway (as are his headphones), so I'm not too worried. And he'll get a new GS right arm once the torso is done (the armature and ammo box are just there temporarily to check the pose and are not glued).

There probably will be a squad vox caster, but he's not going to be it. His WWII radio wasn't 40k enough, so one of the other models will get one of the 28mm plastics left over in my bitz box.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

Slightly sad news, I am afraid. I scheduled pretty poorly for my IGT projects, not building in enough time for setbacks and delays.
Because I don't want to compromise on the quality of the work, the project related to the earlier teaser image is almost certainly not to appear at the IGT.

This is not a huge issue as regards my scenarios, as they were designed to work without it (it wouldn't've fitted on some tables, so I had to make it non-essential), but it is a disappointment.
However, I promise it will appear eventually - it gives me an excellent excuse to run an event this year. And indeed, ideas are already running through my head.

While I think Ruaridh has first shout on the Summer Conclave (because he didn't get to run his "Antonine Amulets" event last year), I am determined to let it off its leash at some point.

GW's =I= articles

RobSkib

SO out of the bazillion projects started in this thread, which will actually get to the IGT? I'd like to see the rhino and more of the guardsmen, considering how much effort you put into each one. The head sculpt is very, very good, hats off to you sir. There is one thing that is very eerie about it, and that's how much it looks like you... o_O
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: RobSkib on March 09, 2011, 04:14:22 PMSO out of the bazillion projects started in this thread, which will actually get to the IGT?
Sorry, I managed to completely miss your question.

Aside from my own warband, likely attendees at the IGT are:
- A number of the NPC guard (although perhaps not all 14)
- Ideally both the Rhino and Sentinel - but possibly only one, in which case, more likely the Rhino.
- Maybe the Sororita I've been working on (but as an NPC, rather than her eventual PC role).
- Another of my warbands that I've offered to lend to a player who hasn't currently got a 54mm warband. (Possibly a little unorthodox, but even if Kaled vetoes it, the person is happy to be there as a spectator.)

Of course, not all of these pieces will necessarily feature in my scenario - it will depend on the available table.

The Jubilee Project will definitely not be appearing - it will have to wait for the Autumn Conclave (which seems to be when I'm going to be running my event), but it should be better for the extra time.

In other news, I'm planning to take advantage of heading up to WHW and get myself a new Sgt Stone so I can finally do that reconstruction of the unreleased 'Bloody' Paulus model. Yeah, I could just mail order one now - but as I see it, I haven't got the time to do it beforehand, so it seems better to wait and add weight to our "Inquisitor hasn't been forgotten" day.
Heck, if anyone else has plans to buy new Inq models, it wouldn't hurt if you did it at the GT as well.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

Two things:

1) My stuff has been recovered from its unexpected holiday. I will put each model up in this thread as and when it's finished - now I have plenty of time, I have no intention of rushing the work.

2) Could someone with a Kroot Mercenary give me a measurement for how tall it would be if stood more or less straight?
Now I have some of Gav's Tau models to work on, it seems like there's also an excuse to have a Kroot and I'm not really up for paying GW for one, tightwad that I am*.

*The Sgt. Stone I bought for my Bloody Paulus project is the only Inquisitor model I've bought from GW in perhaps five years or more. The lengths I will go to for maximum authenticity...

GW's =I= articles

RobSkib

*borrowed from a previous thread*

He's quite tall, not really sure on measurements though as the model is on the other side of the country atm, sorry.

+++++++

MarcoSkoll

Music festivals? I think you've posted the wrong picture.

GW's =I= articles

Myriad

The Kroot's a big model.  From the heel of the foot to the top of the head I reckon to be 80-85mm.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

DapperAnarchist

Kaled's DM piece on his models has a picture of a Kal-based model next to a Kroot, that might help... its possibly taller than a Marine...
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

RobSkib

Hurr durrr... copy and paste has failed me once again -_-
                                     +++++++