Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Marco does something

Started by MarcoSkoll, November 18, 2009, 12:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

Nothing impressive, but just to prove I've actually started:

From the left, these will be Katlien, Nyi and Vera. Provided I don't mix up Katlien and Nyi's armatures (what with both of them being the same size).

At the request of LeadLegion (over on Ammobunker), I'll be trying to use the work on these as the basis for a sculpting tutorial, documenting my approach to scratch-building miniatures.
And with that in mind, given this is an all-girl warband and only addressing 54mm females would perhaps make the guide a bit specific, I will also be arranging to work on a 32mm female and a 54mm male at the same time (to cover working at the smaller size and on the masculine form*).

*Anyone looking for guidance on 32mm males will have to infer some of the details, but you're smart people. Not having any small men on my sculpting to-do list at the moment is a bit of a limiting factor for me here.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Shannow

I always appreciate the sketches you supply Marco, make it so much easier to visualise a WIP and also adds more life to them. Particularly when presented in the mug shot height lines method.

Perhaps you should do a Usual Suspects or Trainspotting style line up version :P
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

MarcoSkoll

I have done dismally little work on my IGT models.
Instead, I've been procrastinating with other projects. Over the weekend, I decided to see if I could redeem the appalling GW sculpting tool I bought in 2008.

It basically took regrinding the head into the shape they used to use, then filing/sanding/polishing all the surfaces smooth, but it is now a tool I'm happy to use:

Still slightly inferior to my original one, but that original is superlatively awesome.

As a choice, this does now mean I have two very similar tools* and no paint stirrer though.
*While I do have second old one, that's been modified with sharper edges.[/size

This post was brought to you by the "Marco can never pull his finger out and get on with it until it's too late" society.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

Still done dismally little work on my IGT models. A smorgasbord of indecision over the basic anatomy has meant I basically had nothing beyond the basic shape of legs and torsos at the start of this evening.

I'm not sure I can redeem that degree of procrastination at this stage, but, fortunately, I've dealt with a decent chunk of the leg detail in not too many hours, so it's not impossible if I REALLY knuckle down.

Anyway, have a bad picture of a messy looking boot...

(The dent in the toe cap will be fixed).

... and feel free to badger me silly to actually get on with stuff.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

Katlien's legs:

May need to adjust her bum. It's not exactly attractive.

GW's =I= articles

Koval

I don't imagine anyone's going to notice if you give her that long cape/coat/thing in your sketch.

Other than that, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

MarcoSkoll

I know the coat would cover it up, but I do try and avoid lazy compromises when modelling. It was an easy enough fix really.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

I always hate how messy my work looks when it's blown up by a factor of 10 on the screen, but I suppose that at least encourages me to go back and neaten up. I will need to get rid of that fingerprint, for example - but that side of the chest needs building up slightly anyway, it's not quite symmetrical.

Anyway, this part of the model has got something of a fantasy vibe, but that's not uncommon in 40k (some of the power armour in the Inquisitor Sketchbook is strongly reminiscent of European plate armour) and it should be tempered by the rest of the model. Or so my original concept would have me believe.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

As usual, it appears my ability to procrastinate and get sidetracked is greater than my actual ability to get things done.
Looks like these guys won't be on the table this weekend, I'm not prepared to compromise the quality of the work to the extent necessary to get that done. (If I can find a way to turn missing deadlines into a profession, I'll be set for life).

Not sure who my backup will be.

GW's =I= articles

Koval

Looking very nice all the same.

Shannow

TBH they are so nice I would play against them as they are!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Shannow on March 27, 2013, 02:38:56 PM
TBH they are so nice I would play against them as they are!
Not sure "Kneadatite Green" and "Plasticard White" count against the two colour minimum. :P

Fortunately, I should probably have something to show for myself nonetheless. Another long running project of mine will hopefully be there.

GW's =I= articles

DapperAnarchist

Strictly there's also "Shiny Unpainted Brass"...
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

MarcoSkoll

If we're getting pedantic, there's also "Unpainted Copper" (the lasgun barrel) and "Whitemetal" (the scope, modified from a Heresy miniatures' Laser pistol).

GW's =I= articles

greenstuff_gav

i know i've raised this issue before, but ....

... Get 'em Cast!
it's fairly cheap and you're good enough to get hte sales of the batch :)
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination