Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Jaxx Coldtone, Possessed Mercenary

Started by Chipperz, June 12, 2010, 06:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chipperz

Right, I can't get any models for a while, so I figured I'd appease myself with writing!  I've been knocking around the idea for a "nemesis" for Aleena (my Inquisitor) for a while, and settled on this guy.  He's a bit of a monster (actually, he's [EXCOMMUNICATE]ing terrifying), but he's also a solo fighter, so he needs to be able to take on an entire four-man warband and still make for a good fight, and I feel his stats are about right for that.

Jaxx Coldstone (AKA Caidan Van Staal)

The man that calls himself Jaxx Coldstone was once a young man known as Caidan Van Staal, a nobleman and heir to the largest noble estate on the planet of Ichasta.  He was one of the few survivors of the attack on their ancestral home which ended with his sister, Aleena, leaving to join the Inquisition and him in line to get control of the planet.

It was eight years after the attack that his father was on his death bed and ready to give him the family fortunes when he was reunited with her family and, in a move that shook Ichastan politics, granted the land and titles not to his son, but to his daughter and the Inquisition.  Shortly after their father's funeral, Aleena declared officially that she would give Caidan control of the estates and the titles, but this was not enough for her brother, who was consumed by anger, grief and jealousy and incensed by what he considered a condescending, backhanded insult.

He took a large part of the family fortune and brought himself a small ship and crew and took to the void as a mercenary and pirate, all but destined to be a footnote in the Van Staal family archives if not for what happened almost five years later; almost a full system away on Braccari, Aleena Van Staal and a group of Sororitas Battle Sisters fought a daemon-worshipping cult, eventually defeating the creature they worshipped when it possessed one of the Sisters.

The daemon decided that it would take the defeat personally.

A Daemon Prince by the name of Ch'charkhan, it was unused to being beaten where usually it's ability to warp reality to it's will would have allowed itself to destroy the Imperial lackeys in a heartbeat.  It was weak, and banished back to the Warp, adrift on the winds of the Empyrean.  Worse, when it did find a way to break through to the material world once more, it found itself without a hand, where the sister's faith had anchored it in reality before it had been blown off.  It searched the Warp for a signal that could help it, and found the mind of a mercenary that hated the woman responsible as much as he did.

In a night of carnage, Ch'charkhan possessed the ship's Astropath and slaughtered the crew, proving more than a match for the seasoned fighters, even in a weakened state and in a frail body, before it came across the mind's owner.  It disarmed him easily and proposed a deal – Ch'charkhan would give the man riches, power and vengeance, if the man gave Ch'charkhan a new body – his body, to inhabit while it regained strength.

Even after years apart, Caidan was still blinded by hate.  He accepted the creature's offer and the man and daemon became one being under the cover identity Caidan had been using since he went on the run – Jaxx Coldstone, daemon-possessed killing machine was born.

Since that day, Coldstone is confirmed at the massacres of eighteen settlements across three systems, and is suspected to be involved in the destruction of twenty-nine more.  Ch'charkhan ensures that he doesn't need to eat or sleep, and he spends all his time not killing things practicing killing things.  He works alone, but his strength and skill mean that others would just get in his way, and the reality-warping powers he has gained allow him to create creatures of pure malice from his own nightmare-fuelled psyche to do his bidding if the need truly arises.

While he does not shy away from defeating anything that would try to stop him, he longs for the day when he has caused enough carnage that his sister hears of his deeds and comes to stop him personally.  Ch'charkhan, on the other hand, has forgotten all about the young Inquisitor, caring more about draining the minds and souls of those he kills to regain his former strength.  Neither care about forming cults or truly worshipping Chaos, a fact that some 'true' cultists are unhappy with.

Statistics in parenthesis are the daemon's mental statistics, used while it's Willpower is higher.

WS - 86
BS - 73
S - 69
T - 65
I – 79
WP – 84 (98)
SG – 68 (106)
NV – 84 (100)
LD – 89 (23)
Speed – 5

Jaxx Coldstone is Right Handed

Equipment – Talon of Ch'charkhan (Halberd with Bound, Magical Force and Mind Stealer properties), Scales of Ch'charkhan (Carapace Armour to all locations with Breathe and Ressurection properties), Automatic Combat Shotgun.

Powers – Instability, Summon Imp*

Skills – Ambidextrous, Feint, Heroic, Daemonic – Shadow, Soulbound**

*Summon Imp – Over time, Ch'charkhan has managed to remove creatures from Caidan's tortured mind and turn them into reality for a short time.  These 'Imps' are small, evil creatures that will instinctively do Coldstone's bidding.  Coldstone can summon any number of Imps, but the power has a difficulty of ten times the number of Imps already on the table (eg three Imps means summoning another has a difficulty of -30)

Imps have the following profile – WS – 50, BS – 0, S – 50, T – 50, I – 30, WP - x, SG – x, NV – 200, LD - -
Their attacks have the Mind Stealer property, and if they take any damage, they will die.  This will cause Coldstone D3 damage, unmodified by armour.  Imps are Small creatures, giving a -30% penalty to hit.  Their Wp and Sg are equal to Ch'charkhan's.

**Soulbound – Ch'charkhan has, over the course of it's rampage, managed to fracture itself into three separate vessels; A halberd known as the Talon, a suit of armour known as the Scales, and the body of Caidan himself.  This counts as Possession, but Coldstone only needs to rest to draw the energies back into himself – he will lose Ch'charkhan's mental statistics, the Daemonic ability, and his psychic powers for the rest of the game, but not permanently.
Proud devotee to Mork.  Or the Emperor.  Whichever one doesn't get me killed.

Shannow

That is a very scary chap! But the story works really well, but as you say he is a solo fighter and his toughness isn't too high. They only things I'd say was that given the very rich character and flair almost everything about this guys has, the Combat Shotgun seems a little..well..dull.

Perhaps just a shotgun with a better name :P like the Vierling and Dreiling in the revised armoury? BUT I nitpick! He sounds excellent and I really like the whole deranged sibling used by a daemon story.

Look forward to seeing a model whenever that may be :)

Rob
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Chipperz

I'm going to base this guy on the Arbite Judge, and I love the Shotgun he has, so I didn't have the heart to change it.  I might look into giving it some fancy shells, possibly instead of normal ammo (or maybe even possess that for extra fun :P)

Apart from that, just renaming it sounds awesome :P I'll check the armoury a bit later and get back to you :)
Proud devotee to Mork.  Or the Emperor.  Whichever one doesn't get me killed.