Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

A Storm of Brushes

Started by Alyster Wick, March 27, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alyster Wick

It is March of 2015. So begins a battle of wills, a war fought with determination, courage, and copious amounts of paint. Yes, it is the 2015 Storm of Brushes!

As discussed in other threads, those denizens of the conclave ambitious enough to partake will join their crazed brethren in a challenge to clear five models out of their painting queue, all for the glory of the hobby. There is no contest or prizes, only pride in knowing that you individually finished a project.

Rules:

- Pick 5 models that need to be painted (or less, if you don't have 5) and post a picture of them below with as much or as little description as you would like.

- Post updates over the course of the next couple months! We want to see how you're doing.

- Those not taking part in the contest feel free to post your encouragement! We all need a little motivation every now and again.

- Timeline: There is no official date where entry closes. If you want to join May 30 with 5 (or more, or less) unpainted models have at it! The only requirement is that you be done (bases and all) by June 1st.

- SUPER FUN BONUS RULE!!!: For the sake of keeping things interesting, in your first post resolve to try one new painting technique, strategy, etc. It could even be one you've fiddled with before that you want to improve upon (and experienced commenters feel free to add advice).

Now that we got that out of the way, on to the contestants! I will update this part of the thread when a new contestant joins (be patient with me, I've got a lot of work travel coming up so it may take a few days to update).

Contestants:

Alyster Wick, working on freehand tattoos
Cortez,
Radu Lykan
greenstuff_gav
Aurelius, working on a Blanchian style
Lord Borak
Van Hesler

That's it! The more the merrier, and remember to have fun!

Alyster Wick

Here is a pic of my five models:

They represent two different warbands. The Ganger and Mutants are nefarious associates of Interrogator Wick. They act as his eyes and ears in the underhive and are his doer of evil deeds that the Inquisition cannot be linked to. These folks will have some interesting tribal tattoos and possibly some freehand on their "retro" clothing (it'll be a tight fit in some places, but I'd like to try!).

The two others are the beginning of my puritanical mechanicus killteam. They investigate rumors of heresy within the ranks of the mechanicus and eradicate the impure with extreme prejudice. Both minis will have geometric markings/tattoos adorning their garb and skin.

If you couldn't tell, my new painting technique is freehand, specifically tattoos/clothing graphics.

Cortez

Well I've managed to find five models for this challenge.

First up are a couple of models that have been sitting around for years. Hope you don't mind that they've already been started (years ago):

The next model is a shapeways print of this sniper that I sculpted for the last Conclave event, but never got around to painting, sorry I've not got a picture of the actual model, yet, but the translucent material shes printed in doesn't photograph well:

The last two models are going to come out of my bits box, in which I found a complete 'Slick' Devlan and an armless Eisenhorn. There was also a couple of arms from a judge model, so theres some converting a greenstuffing to do. I'll post photos once I've assembled them.

Radu Lykan

lol if it was one i could probably get it done but five? no way

greenstuff_gav

i don't own 5 models, nor have a chance of getting 5 done, so i grabbed 3

a Water Caste (with crappily sculpted arms as i was missing 'em), a cultist to join my growing NPCs and a Soda Pop Relics model who's almost Inquisitor scale:
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Aurelius

I will commit to a minimum of 3 models, here are the models I will be painting - a Daemonhost,  a Xanthine inquisitor, and a beast man.

For my painting goal, I want to try and paint more like John Blanche - so a bit looser, lots of splatters, and cool little details. And maybe a few freehand tatoos as well Alyster
;D

Here they are

And if I manage to get them done sooner, perhaps a couple of these guys too!

Cheers Aurelius

Aurelius

Quote from: Radu Lykan on March 28, 2015, 09:26:24 PM

Radu,  why don't you do one then? I'm sure everyone would be happy to see any number!

Alyster Wick

Lots of replies so far! Don't worry if you don't have 5 knocking about, any amount of models is welcome. Let's get the Conclave up and running with some new pieces!

Also, I modified the rules at the top a bit as folks seem pretty happy to join the contest/event with more or less than 5.

Quote from: Radu Lykan on March 28, 2015, 09:26:24 PM

I'm taking that to mean you're in :) Let's see that one model!

Aurelius

Here's some poorly lit, very preliminary work in progress just blocking in some basic colors. As it turns out, he actually has a really detailed mask on his head - didn't notice until now! It looks like a Japanese demon /  Samurai face mask style, so I have gone for a rich red color. This is actually a cool backstorey idea - he wears it as he thinks it hides his own beastly visage.

More to come, need to block on metal, then time for washes,  highlighting and detailing.

And look at an article I found by John Blanche himself - how to paint in his own style. Perfect!

http://kingsminis.blogspot.com.au/2015/01/blanchitsu-pdf.html?m=1

I am also a big fan of Delaney's painting style, great use of washes and tints.

EDIT: bit more work on this done tonight. Bit of wash work on skin, metal added and black wash. Need to ditry the metal next.

Cheers
Aurelius

Radu Lykan

ok, if one is allowed i am in! one and a half?

these guys are in my shed somewhere, have been for years, if they are not broken then i will try to get them finished by june the 1st
although 2 holidays between now and then might hinder my progress i figure its worth a try,  "For the Emperor!" and all that :)

Aurelius

He looks bad ass Radu! Nice pet he has there too.

I've made a bit more progress. Metal needs to be re highlighted after some extensive weathering, then some highlights on the skin I think.

Shot from the back showing his harpoon gun. Going to add lots of checks and color here as it is a bit dull at the moment. Arm is screaming for a tattoo too.

Cheers
Aurelius

Aurelius

I have posted this on my own thread, but here is my first finished model!
Ragnar Gorbad, Beastman henchman

I don't think I quite nailed the Blanchian style, but I still had fun. Am looking forward to painting some more!
Cheers
Aurelius

greenstuff_gav

my first one was a quick one; needed him for Sunday so a few hours on Saturday while hungover!
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

MarcoSkoll

I will register my interest in getting involved (I need to get at least a few models done before the IGT), but I will probably be starting closer to the end of this month.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Lord Borak

I'm up for this. No promises on how many I'll get done but it's incentive enough to get a couple of models done anyway. Shame I'm late to the party and going on Holiday for the rest of April next week. Hey-Hum! Nowt like a bit o' speed painting :D