Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Scum, Subs, and Muties

Started by Van Helser, September 10, 2012, 11:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radu Lykan

am thinking the headscarf should be a different colour than his skin as it detracts from the albino-ness?

Trasher

Very cool model, makes me want to get a few Guardsmen! I agree with Radu Lykan though, try googling for "military tan color" and "military coyote brown color", maybe on of those might look good?
My Nurgle Cult Thread on The Conclave
My Nurgle Cult Thread on Papa Nurgle
"Come on, daemons live in the warp. [snip] hours turn into cm, cm turn into walruses."

Gideon

These are absolutely beautiful figures. I am a huge fan of the tech-heresy construct and the Afriel Strain Guardsman - particularly because he has the same damn bionic arm piece that I have been scouring the GW website for fruitlessly for ages! Where did you get it from?
In nomine Imperator Dei!

MarcoSkoll

I think I'd agree that the headscarf could use toning back, as it seems to be stealing the focal point from what should probably be his pale skin.

(As an aside, I'm starting to enjoy colour theory a lot more with my current project. Being able to go nuts on the concept with Photoshop's paint bucket is really making working all this stuff out much easier. Might even get a co-ordinated warband this time!)

Quote from: Gideon on January 15, 2013, 11:32:35 PMparticularly because he has the same damn bionic arm piece that I have been scouring the GW website for fruitlessly for ages! Where did you get it from?
Toothpick Murke is out of production, so your only real options are eBay or the Arcadian Smugglers Ring.
As for where Van Helser got it, I think he's been buying up most of the job lots of Inquisitor parts on eBay for the last half decade.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Alyster Wick

The head scarf is far too white (maybe a nice camo green or reddish brown?). I love the Fallout 3 inspired shotgun (it was never very practical but the rule-of-cool is in full effect).

Basically I have nothing original to add, just wanted to support the scarf change and let you know that pound-for-pound this is my favorite thread on the clave right now. It may not be the grandest but you're making solid characters with some pretty standard parts. It's inspiring and is helping to push me to do more with what I have rather than lazily slapping together parts for lame NPCs.

Really great thread, looking forward to the article in DM.

Gideon

Toothpick Murke. That's the fellow.

I think, given the brown uniform and the white skin, the scarf could actually function well if painted like a keffiyeh? A red and white one (such as the page image in the link) would be good - red goes well with brown and white, and a particularly ruddy red-brown wouldn't distract from the shocking white of his skin.
In nomine Imperator Dei!

Seargent Maxwell Forest

The guardsmen looks quite nice indeed 8)
"What happens to the Imperium should it realy achieve peace?"

Saussure

These are very nice indeed, Ruaridh! The Construct, with all of that lovely rust, is particularly nice, and I think the albino is exceptionally effective. Have you changed your painting technique recently?

Herodotus Benedict Saussure
Ordo Hereticus Terran
Forum Moderator

Van Helser

Thanks everyone.

I have been working quite a bit on my painting technique in the last few months, with guidance from our good friend Robey as I signed up as a freelancer for Precinct Omega Studios.  I am much more careful with layering now, and have been trying things like non-metallic metals.  Baby steps, but I think I'm improving with each model I churn out.

The general advice here and elsewhere was that the headscarf needed a change, so it has turned into a bit of a keffiyeh.  Blue was chosen as a counterpoint to the red eyes.

And like buses, you wait ages and two come along at once!

The Scaly is complete.  I pondered for a long time what colour to make the loincloth... It was light blue before I went for the yellow.  Bold, but I think it's a good contrast to the armour.  What does everyone think?

Ruaridh

Necris

I really like the yellow, it stands out really nicely, I'm really liking these models and the way they are coming together.
This here is my very favourite gun...I call her rita.

The Order of the Iron Rose - Necris' Inq28 Plog

Gideon

The Keffiyeh is lovely; I would never have thought of blue but it works wonderfully well. The Scaly's brilliant - the hood makes him (it?) look very B-movie slasher-horror style, which suits him (it?) to a T. The loincloth is bold but an excellent character choice. It also works well with the blue-green scales.

Top notch old chap!
In nomine Imperator Dei!

Alyster Wick

Much improved with the Keffiyeh. Now that you mention it the NMM on the gun looks brilliant as well. I need to start stretching myself on both freehand and NMM...

Love the Scaly. Very bold choices with the coloration of the scales versus the skin and the loin cloth. I would have pictured more of an organic blend between the scales and flesh but it really works the way you've done it. I also think that the loin cloth works wonderfully. Great example of a little something extra that you could have easily just done as a dull brown and called it a day.

Great stuff, really pushing me to be a better hobbyist. Jealous in the most productive way possible.

Heroka Vendile

nice work Ruaridh, the blue on the keffiyeh really helps a lot, the plain white was just a bit much combined with the skin tone (or lack of).
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Van Helser

Lastly then, the shapeshifter:

After looking at these photos I think I'm going to go back to him and try to get the different halves of the model to flow into each other better.  The idea here is that he is mid-transformation from a guardsman to some sort of more basic human shape.  I thought I had the blending done pretty well, but under the lens that's not so!  If anyone has any tips I'd be happy to hear them!

Ruaridh

Kaled

Very cool - it's a great concept.

As for tips, I'd be tempted to put more veins of colour snaking out from the green side across his flesh...
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat